In-wall tank or not?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisRD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Lots of good points...appreciate all of the great feedback.

After considering what has been discussed here and looking over our floor plans again I think we're much happier all around with the basement fish room idea for some of the reasons mentioned. Still not decided on actual tank location but I'm planning reinforcing for both locations. The cost impact to the project is minor and I would like to keep all options open at this point.
 
I always thought I wanted in-wall for the tank of my dreams, but ended up doing a peninsula tank as a room divider with plumbing to sump in the basement. Could not be happier. Neat and clean, viewable from 3 sides, a real treat.
 
This area would actually be over the garage portion of the basement but I could probably section off a sump room in the garage. I'd have to give up some workshop space (blasphemy!) but it's a good point to consider. I could also possibly offset the plumbing enough on the way downstairs to put a sump room under the basement stairs.

I've attached a crop of one of the concept floor plans to illustrate. The firewall that separates the garage from the basement coincides with the stairway shown (i.e. stairway on the basement side, everything to the right of that wall will be garage).

Thanks for the input so far...very helpful.

Tank Room.jpg
Hi ,
thanks for the post as I am doing the same thing just had a house built and I have a room that is 8x6 for filters and aquarium in the wall it will be a 72x24x30 tank and I just hope the room is big enough
 
I am looking at building my in wall tank in a couple weeks. I am still debating about access above the tank from the front. It would be easier to not have a door in front. After having it up for a while if you were to do it again would you put front access? I really like the way your set up looks. Congrats.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new