Increase pH with Kalk?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75g SPS tank using 2 part I am struggling with pH on. Running 7.8 to 8.1. Dosing 30ml/day in 24 increments via 1.1ml/min dosers.

If I add a kalk reactor and run opposite light cycle while turning down 2 part accordingly will I see any noticeable increase in pH? I would be dosing from RO reservoir to reactor independently of my ATO.

Does kalk have a greater impact on pH than soda ash?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 75g SPS tank using 2 part I am struggling with pH on. Running 7.8 to 8.1. Dosing 30ml/day in 24 increments via 1.1ml/min dosers.

If I add a kalk reactor and run opposite light cycle while turning down 2 part accordingly will I see any noticeable increase in pH? I would be dosing from RO reservoir to reactor independently of my ATO.

Does kalk have a greater impact on pH than soda ash?
I cannot speak to soda ash, but a kalk reactor (I use a Reef Octo Stirrer) can really help maintain pH. I use it to solve for pH, then use my 2-Part doser to manage ALK/Ca.

I gradually built up to dosing 3,600ml in 24 hours, with 2,700 of that dosed after lights out. In the end, I managed to reduce my 2-part by half. I went slow and incrementally.

Every couple weeks I dump in another cup or so of kalkwasser powder. I use APEX DOS to push RODI into the stirrer and it gravity feeds from there into the sump.

1637789428240.png

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak to soda ash, but a kalk reactor (I use a Reef Octo Stirrer) can really help maintain pH. I use it to solve for pH, then use my 2-Part doser to manage ALK/Ca.

I gradually built up to dosing 3,600ml in 24 hours, with 2,700 of that dosed after lights out. In the end, I managed to reduce my 2-part by half. I went slow and incrementally.

Every couple weeks I dump in another cup or so of kalkwasser powder. I use APEX DOS to push RODI into the stirrer and it gravity feeds from there into the sump.

1637789428240.png

Dang that’s a nice ph curve! Yeah I plan to do basically the same. What size is your tank?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have APEX Classic. Does that mean you have Fusion too? I only came on to APEX in 2016. While the "newer" APEX hardware is complete **** IMO, the Fusion interface is awesome. Making dosing adjustments for my kalkstirrer and my DOS is just so easy.

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have APEX Classic. Does that mean you have Fusion too? I only came on to APEX in 2016. While the "newer" APEX hardware is complete **** IMO, the Fusion interface is awesome. Making dosing adjustments for my kalkstirrer and my DOS is just so easy.

Yep it does! That’s the only reason I’m still running the classic when I have A new Apex in box for whenever it craps, but it just keeps going.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it does! That’s the only reason I’m still running the classic when I have A new Apex in box for whenever it craps, but it just keeps going.
That old hardware seems to hold up super well. Based on my experience, I have to keep spares of every AEPX hardware component. Brain, DOS, Energy Bar, leak detectors. Would love to run GHL hardware on Fusion. Cost would be the same as I would not need to stock redundant equipment. But I am NOT doing GHL software.

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1637789428240.png
Hi Scott, can you show me your dos program to how your dose 2700 ml of kalk after light and the other 900ml during light period. Thanks

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott, can you show me your dos program to how your dose 2700 ml of kalk after light and the other 900ml during light period. Thanks
Sure thing. This is with APEX DOS. There are three intervals. A dose period cannot extend over the hour 23:59.

You have to add them in a certain order, or else you don't get the option to "Add Interval". I think the order presented here is the correct order.

This setup has been one of my best bang for the buck enhancements in years.

1639923946787.png

Elitecorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. This is with APEX DOS. There are three intervals. A dose period cannot extend over the hour 23:59.

You have to add them in a certain order, or else you don't get the option to "Add Interval". I think the order presented here is the correct order.

This setup has been one of my best bang for the buck enhancements in years.

1639923946787.png
Can you show me your advanced configuration look like?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back