increase tank water volume (new sump).. is it ok?

nmo0ory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello
i have a system its about 600L (1582G)
i am planing to change the sump to a new sump
it will be about 100L (26.4) sump

but i was wander if i add this sump do i will go to mine cycle and i might have a problem ?
it happen to me before it was only DT 350L (92G) and i add large frag tank 250L (66G)
i got lot of alage
and then dino
maybe because i have only 4 fish no much wast and lot of corals thats lead to very clean water and high volume new water

so what is the best thing to do to add a new sump without having a problem ?

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instinctively, I would not expect this to be of great danger to your system. So long as it is currently stable, adding extra water volume does not pose a risk to me. This is mainly because the added volume is not incredibly large in comparison to your frag tank addition.

I would expect some algae but only on the light side because bacteria will need to colonize in the sump, which may produce diatoms of the sort, maybe?

You’ll have to forgive me as I do not have experience adding but rather only upgrading and doing a tank transfer, which seems to be similar in concept and logic but different in approach.

All my best to you and congrats on the new gear!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you are adding water volume, not bio-load, I would expect no problem whatsoever. When I added a 120g refugium to my 150DT/50sump combo the only thing that happened (as I was hoping, btw) was that the DSB in the refugium would quickly become alive and take care of the out of control nitrate problems I was having with a 4' moray who was eating 3+ hand sized fillets weekly and so creating a huge amount of waste.

Heck - go bigger if you can!!!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back