Increased alk demand, increased kalk dosage, same alkalinity. Should that raise pH?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon, I plan to get some coral. I want to satisfy the increased alk demand by dosing more kalk, while keeping my alkalinity the same.
Will that raise the pH?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per Randy:
Adding 1.25% of the tank volume with saturated limewater will boost the pH instantly by about 0.7 pH units, but the effect rapidly wanes as the system pulls in more CO2 from the air.

There's no way to determine in advance how much using limewater will boost pH overall, but be certain alkalinity does not get higher than you want.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....it will raise pH....and also raise calcium slowly, and since you have no coral you will hit the brick wall of having high calcium and low dKH.

Use soda ash. Basically its baked baking soda. Problem solved.

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear-I only plan to start adding more kalk after I get coral. I know I'll have a greater demand for alk and wonder if meeting that demand by adding more kalk while keeping the alkalinity at 8, where it is now, will raise the pH.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back