Incredible Scolymia

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the Fish Guy LFS in Michigan last week and saw a scolymia (also known as donut or meat coral) that was beyond belief..:eek: ..it had the most awesome color and sparkley pattern that I have ever seen. I agonized over getting it or passing on it for over an hour while we were there. This is going to be hard to believe, but I deliberately passed on it for a number of reasons. The biggest reason was this was a prime example of a show coral that should be seen and appreciated by many others, not kept in a tank in my house.

We left the LFS and went to eat at a restaurant on the corner of the strip mall. Needless to say, there was a lot of discussion about this scolymia and I mentioned that I would have taken it, but that it was a show piece that others should be able to appreciate. My reefer friends soon convinced me that I should get it to share pictures with everyone. Kinda hoping that someone else picked it up (and save me the trouble of making a decision), we went back to the LFS to see if it was still there.

It was still there and looking even better! I took it home with me. Here are some pictures that show how distinctive this scolymia is....it literally "sparkles". It has adapted well to my tank and is eating. I'll post some pictures of it eating later.

MR-DSC-5395.jpg

MR-DSC-5396.jpg

MR-DSC-5397.jpg

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the right kind of friends to have. lol Looks very nice!

I can't keep them for some reason. Do you guys think they don't like to be in a mixed reef, with leathers and stuff? About once a year I get a really healthy one to try out and they always die and never open up. Its weird...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back