Inexpensive light for fish and softies

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again!

So because saltwater tanks are a drug, I now find myself tempted to put up a small, simple tank at my place of work. Unfortunately for me, I also have a coworker that would like to do the same and has a tank ready to go. ;Inpain <no idea what he's doing, but he looks in pain so it's appropriate. She has no experience with saltwater so this is going to be her "in" to the hobby.

Long story short, this is mostly going to be a fish only tank, but I love coral and can't imagine having a tank with just fish. We're trying to keep this build as inexpensive as possible and lighting is normally the largest expense. Is there a light that could support soft corals that also won't break the bank? This will be a normal 5 gallon tank. Thank you!

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again!

So because saltwater tanks are a drug, I now find myself tempted to put up a small, simple tank at my place of work. Unfortunately for me, I also have a coworker that would like to do the same and has a tank ready to go. ;Inpain <no idea what he's doing, but he looks in pain so it's appropriate. She has no experience with saltwater so this is going to be her "in" to the hobby.

Long story short, this is mostly going to be a fish only tank, but I love coral and can't imagine having a tank with just fish. We're trying to keep this build as inexpensive as possible and lighting is normally the largest expense. Is there a light that could support soft corals that also won't break the bank? This will be a normal 5 gallon tank. Thank you!
Aquamaxx makes an LED light that works well. Very reasonably priced also

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I live on " Buy it once".
I recommend the Ai Prime or prime HD light and it will serve you well and when and if you upgrade to a larger tank- you still have met your light needs. These grow anything and work right from your phone

OP
OP
Harrkim120

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on " Buy it once".
I recommend the Ai Prime or prime HD light and it will serve you well and when and if you upgrade to a larger tank- you still have met your light needs. These grow anything and work right from your phone

I agree and have an AI Prime at home on my smaller tank and love it, but this will be at work with a bunch of other people... My concern is damage.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree and have an AI Prime at home on my smaller tank and love it, but this will be at work with a bunch of other people... My concern is damage.
People? Print this below and post at that tank:

touch.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back