OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could read all that crap till you pass out and still have questions lol. Are you starting with dry or wet live rock?
live, my local shop is selling them for cheaaap, so i kinda have too, I also wanna be nice to my clowns and give them a near natural setup(yes ik, only a singular anemone)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live, my local shop is selling them for cheaaap, so i kinda have too, I also wanna be nice to my clowns and give them a near natural setup(yes ik, only a singular anemone)
If you're buying wet live rock from someone else's tank then cycling isn't something you need to worry about. Set the tank up, give it a day, check parameters to make sure there wasn't too much die off and you're all set.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're buying wet live rock from someone else's tank then cycling isn't something you need to worry about. Set the tank up, give it a day, check parameters to make sure there wasn't too much die off and you're all set.
oh fun, so like around a week of cycling to be safe? then I still gotta put the nems in after 6-12 months right?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh fun, so like around a week of cycling to be safe? then I still gotta put the nems in after 6-12 months right?
Depends on how established the rocks are as for time on the nem. Some of that time isn't just for the system, it's for you. New reefers need some time to figure out testing, frequency of water changes, dosing, algae etc....

As for the cycle the rocks you are buying are already done with that. However during transport and setup there could be some organics that die off. The time afterward will be to check your nitrate and phosphate and do a water change to get those numbers in a good range before adding fish.

Also you need to be using RODI water and not tap. Tap water can eventually be toxic for inverts.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how established the rocks are as for time on the nem. Some of that time isn't just for the system, it's for you. New reefers need some time to figure out testing, frequency of water changes, dosing, algae etc....

As for the cycle the rocks you are buying are already done with that. However during transport and setup there could be some organics that die off. The time afterward will be to check your nitrate and phosphate and do a water change to get those numbers in a good range before adding fish.

Also you need to be using RODI water and not tap. Tap water can eventually be toxic for inverts.
oh ok, cool :D, ye, im also getting an ro/di system

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do finally get an anemone buy one from a local reefer on this site or Facebook. Store bought and internet purchased anemone will bring a new set of problems.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do finally get an anemone buy one from a local reefer on this site or Facebook. Store bought and internet purchased anemone will bring a new set of problems.
ohhhhhhhh, ok, where can i find locals on this site? is there a set place?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link to sales in your area. Can find on your own when the time comes by looking through the forum list.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the kessil A80: https://amzn.to/4bLQ86a. It's only $140, plenty of power for a nano, and lovely shimmer. The "spotlight" effect will also help the nem stay under the light rather than roaming - nems will go where they want, you can't decide for them. The kessil also has an available super handy gooseneck mount: https://amzn.to/3wteZvo

I also want to stress what others have said - please don't put a nem in a new tank, it will most likely die, wasting your money and damaging your confidence in the hobby.
is the kessil good for a 20 gal?

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick thing, is a nem good for a new tank?(I have experience with freshwater and planted tanks), but I need to wait 6-12 months right?(just making sure) and kessila80 or vectraspectra or k7 mini for 20gal?

PharmrJohn

Maker of Enchiladas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add clowns once tank is cycled. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR ANEMONE WILL EVER HOST THE CLOWNS. Mine took over 2 years, every trick on the internet and hundreds in anemone before the matchmaking happened.

Agreed. I got my maroon clown early (at about 3 months) into my tank's existence in 2009, then added the anemone at about the six-month mark (when the numbers were consistently stable). Everything went well. After a few days, the anemone was occupied. I think I got lucky! But it's a fun combination. I'm gonna try it again when my tank is up and running again (slated for July or so)

Now, with lighting.......It's best to spend a little money and get something good. The one thing I learned as I was dumping thousands of dollars into my system (back in the day) was to 'do it right the first time'. The first time doesn't need to be the getting the most expensive, highest quality product. IMO, it just needs to have a measure of quality built into it so you don't have to buy another one any time soon.

If you need to do a little saving, then do it. This isn't something that can be rushed. I tried rushing it once about 30 years ago. It did not go well. It went very badly, in fact. You will learn patience! Read into lighting and the requirements of your residents and learn it front to back. Armed with knowledge, the recommendations will make more sense to you.
Good luck! You've entered a pretty cool world, man. J.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am thinking of building a coral tank and I have a tight budget, I want to put only one anemone in it(in the middle on a live rock), would this be a good light:

https://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Marine-Aquarium-Clip-Light/

thanks,

stewy14
ps. I am a teen, I dont have a job, I dont feel like spending 450+ on this. so thanks, if you have any lights that are better for anemones that are below $150-$200, please comment it, again, thanks and have a great day!

pps, sorry if the links arent showing up, here are the names for them:

NICREW 20W Saltwater Aquarium Light, Marine LED Reef Light for Corals, Programmable Timer Controller, 18 to 24-Inch​

NICREW 30 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks​

Remember, Anemones move around the tank to a place where they find acceptable light and flow.

You may have this idea of placing the Anemone nicely in the center on a piece of live rock. It will only stay where you place it if it is getting good light and flow.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick thing, is a nem good for a new tank?(I have experience with freshwater and planted tanks), but I need to wait 6-12 months right?(just making sure) and kessila80 or vectraspectra or k7 mini for 20gal?
Not good for a new tank. Yes to the others

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much expierance do u think I would need? and how hard is it to keep one small anemones?

Difficulties in keeping Anemones have less to do with experience and more to do with tank stability. Once you have sustained, stable parameters for 4-6 months, you would be good to go.

But my concern is that your inexperience in saltwater will be more of an issue where your chemistry stability is concerned.

Remember; the bigger the tank, the more stability in chemistry.

In my experience, an anemone in a 20 gallon tank being maintained by someone unexperienced in saltwater usually doesn't end well for the Anemone because of the chemistry swings.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much expierance do u think I would need? and how hard is it to keep one small anemones?
As Dom said, it's about maturity of the system, not your experience as an individual. If you start the system with quality live rock and sand, proper lighting and proper flow, and keep parameters stable, your success is very likely

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back