Lighting for anemone

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am thinking of building a coral tank and I have a tight budget, I want to put only one anemone in it(in the middle on a live rock), would this be a good light:

https://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Marine-Aquarium-Clip-Light/

thanks,

stewy14
ps. I am a teen, I dont have a job, I dont feel like spending 450+ on this. so thanks, if you have any lights that are better for anemones that are below $150-$200, please comment it, again, thanks and have a great day!

pps, sorry if the links arent showing up, here are the names for them:

NICREW 20W Saltwater Aquarium Light, Marine LED Reef Light for Corals, Programmable Timer Controller, 18 to 24-Inch​

NICREW 30 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks​

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on tank size I would recommend the Kessil below. If it's a nano this will work perfect, and super easy to set up, just get a timer for it to turn it on and off, turn the dial to get the color you like, and easily tune intensity until you find what the nem likes.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on tank size I would recommend the Kessil below. If it's a nano this will work perfect, and super easy to set up, just get a timer for it to turn it on and off, turn the dial to get the color you like, and easily tune intensity until you find what the nem likes.

its a 20gal, what about the noosphyche k7 mini? or the vectraspectra?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a new tank shouldn't have anemome until its been established for close to a year. Plenty of time to save for a good light.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that a new tank shouldn't have anemome until its been established for close to a year. Plenty of time to save for a good light.
ye, im hoping that if I get the tank in around late march(spring break for me and getting a job :D) I can get the tank, cycle it, then buy everything(just thought of this now thanks to you :D, these are really the kind of things I like to hear to beginners :D)( and thanks to thomas too)

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXACTLY THIS!

If you're a teen and on a tight budget you will just throw your money away on that nem and most of all, you'll be killing livestock that doesn't need to die.

Let the tank mature at least 6 months but a year would be great.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye, im hoping that if I get the tank in around late march(spring break for me and getting a job :D) I can get the tank, cycle it, then buy everything(just thought of this now thanks to you :D, these are really the kind of things I like to hear to beginners :D)( and thanks to thomas too)
Personally I had an awful time keeping nems until my tank was around the year mark. Currently I have anywhere between 10 and 14 nems. Lighting is kessil 360 turned up to 95%. Nems can handle a ton of light.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I had an awful time keeping nems until my tank was around the year mark. Currently I have anywhere between 10 and 14 nems. Lighting is kessil 360 turned up to 95%. Nems can handle a ton of light.
wow, thats a lot! the kessil 360 is way out of my budget lol, im looking to see if I can get an aiprimehd used so I dont have to spend 270 on a light. what about the k7 mini or a vectraspectra though?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, thats a lot! the kessil 360 is way out of my budget lol, im looking to see if I can get an aiprimehd used so I dont have to spend 270 on a light. what about the k7 mini or a vectraspectra though?
I had viparspectra when I first started. They are cheap and grow anything. That's the only plus sides though. Lighting is the biggest decision you will have when putting a tank together. Also the place where your money will most matter.

Keep in mind that lights aren't needed at all until you have coral or anemone that need them. This gives months after setup before any are even required. Plenty of time to save and research.

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The K7 Mini is a powerhouse. There's a pretty popular thread around here showing pretty high PAR results on a 15in tall tank with the light 7in over the water. It would definitely work for you.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could i put in the clowns before the anemone? if so, how long before?
You can add clowns once tank is cycled. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR ANEMONE WILL EVER HOST THE CLOWNS. Mine took over 2 years, every trick on the internet and hundreds in anemone before the matchmaking happened.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The K7 Mini is a powerhouse. There's a pretty popular thread around here showing pretty high PAR results on a 15in tall tank with the light 7in over the water. It would definitely work for you.
k7 or vectraspectra though? for nems? and for a setup that will probably last me years(i will eventually buy a new light tho, probably in my late college years)

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add clowns once tank is cycled. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE YOUR ANEMONE WILL EVER HOST THE CLOWNS. Mine took over 2 years, every trick on the internet and hundreds in anemone before the matchmaking happened.
lol, ok, ill keep that in mind

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, ok, ill keep that in mind
Just trying to keep it real. Lots of people start tanks thinking this bond is a guarantee and it just isn't.

Even then for all my trouble getting the pairing to happen it caused my clowns to be extremely territorial. I can't put my hands in tank without being attacked now.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since i
since u seem like an expert, could you please send me an article which has all the cycling dates and cycling times? I've looked at so many and all are different.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the kessil A80: https://amzn.to/4bLQ86a. It's only $140, plenty of power for a nano, and lovely shimmer. The "spotlight" effect will also help the nem stay under the light rather than roaming - nems will go where they want, you can't decide for them. The kessil also has an available super handy gooseneck mount: https://amzn.to/3wteZvo

I also want to stress what others have said - please don't put a nem in a new tank, it will most likely die, wasting your money and damaging your confidence in the hobby.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to keep it real. Lots of people start tanks thinking this bond is a guarantee and it just isn't.

Even then for all my trouble getting the pairing to happen it caused my clowns to be extremely territorial. I can't put my hands in tank without being attacked now.
Ye, I've heard of that, hope your hand is okay though :D

HiggsUSA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since i

since u seem like an expert, could you please send me an article which has all the cycling dates and cycling times? I've looked at so many and all are different.
Cycling can vary wildly. Test your water parameters and following Dr. Tims guide seems to be a pretty common approach for most.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
since i

You could read all that crap till you pass out and still have questions lol. Are you starting with dry or wet live rock?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back