Infection from tank? (bit minging )

  • Thread starter Thread starter papercrab
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

papercrab

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2025
Messages
82
Reaction score
72
Location
Devon
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been lazy on small tanks, and ive been starting siphons with my mouth for a while now. I can start it without sucking as ive been in the hobby for a while its just ive been working on a small tank and its harder to start. so i get and weekly mouthful of tank water. thought that was fine until about last week when i developed a partially nasty mouth ulcer. it seems to be not your standard mouth ulcer ( ironically the advise is to gargle saltwater) and ive been wondering if some bacteria from the tank has infected my mouth somehow? am i just being sft and its fine or have ive been stupid and been drinking fish faeces. sorry if this is tmi.
 
I always suspect the person(s) at the party when I come down with an unexpected lesion. 😂

But seriously, keep the thread updated if you survive. These kinds of infections are really nothing to joke about, so for myself and what I wrote earlier, I appologize.

If you get a fever or obvious infection spreading in the area, don't wait to go to the ER and tell them what you suspect.
 
Upvote 0
I've gotten my share of tank water in my mouth and I much prefer it to gasoline lol. Some people are more sensitive than others so best to be cautious.
Good point. Listerine or even gin and tonic might be a better medical response then rinsing with salt water in this instance. And both do have medicinal properties when used correctly for mouth issues.
 
Upvote 0

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new