Info on sick clowns was a huge help.

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to everyone who has helped me to figure out which treatment options were appropriate and what could possibly be wrong with my cinnamon clownfish, I extend a huge thank you.
This morning, after taking the advice, as beast I could anyway as Georgia has stopped selling copper treatment in most places, I had two live clowns.
This morning I have fed them a cube of frozen omnivore food, dropped a little garlic in it to soak and mabey help,them,start eating they ate the whole cube. This is the first time they have eaten well.
Hyposalinity seems to be working very well. And I restocked on Seachem products as they seem be higher quality. I had had to resort to some Kent products to begin with and come to find out the three in the marine starter kit which when used in tandem can cause adverse reactions. Gotta work but ill post the info I found on this this afternoon.
You guys are awsome.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank, well little sick tank is stable and has been since about 7 this morning after I did a partial WC.
My go to girl at the LFS told me that the guy I got the fish from,had been in earlier and tried to sell them. They didn't look sick at first glance she told me bit after watching them,afor a while they observed the same behavior like in the video I uploaded. They wouldn't even,pit them in the QT tank,as she didn't know what this was.
Anyway, I'm a Seachem fan but that day it was Kent marine starter pack or something I had never heard of. I went with the starter pack.
Bad idea. Read the fine print on the bottles, two CANNOT be used together. So why put them in a starter pack without a huge warning I have no idea.
Pro ammonia detx; pro Pro,buffer dKH;Essential elements. These came in the pack. The buffer says to never mix directly with a calcium or magnesium solution.
These are the active ingredients in Essential Elements: calcium chloride, Cobalt chloride, Magnesium chloride, Manganese EDTA, Nickle chloride...and the lost goes on.
Well I did read the small print so I figured by not mixing directly wait several hours if needed I would add some buffer. NOPE! I stopped the buffer, figured the salt should take care of that and keep the ph stable anyway, checked and magnesium and calcium levels were good if not a bit high.
I took a sample of water with me to the LFS and she tested it herself. She tested for certain things of which I did not have the capability of doing. Suffice it to say these are a BAD combo.
As to not fairly give this a bad rep I did a few test this afternoon. Actually just finished. And even in SW heated and exactly the same with every test I have and aerated well, even of added together or separately (two hours apart) water hardness drastically increases. So why not add them to different containers then wait two hours and then slowly drip them together? Same result. Mabey someone knows something about this I don't but just letting you all know what i found.

OP
OP
Converted to Saltwater

Converted to Saltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep it simple for now and the saying 'slow is smooth and smooth is fast' is certainly true. I never dose for anything I cannot check. JMHO
That was a learning experience for me for sure. And I agree and I take fault for the addition of the two. My only frustration is with the instructions not warning of this before everything says to add for aid in startup. I have no problem owning my error just warning someone else who might do the same. Am equipped with more test equipment now though. What's done is done, with much advice I'm happy the fish are alive.

They are ravenous now and I'm wondering how long I should keep them in this small tank. I am going to build a small ten gallon, other than them coral, inverts only. It has taken a lot of effort and money to keep this 5 up. If I put them in the other then continue the same regimine until time is up would it be safe to change water give it time and then slowly introduce the coral?

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a learning experience for me for sure. And I agree and I take fault for the addition of the two. My only frustration is with the instructions not warning of this before everything says to add for aid in startup. I have no problem owning my error just warning someone else who might do the same. Am equipped with more test equipment now though. What's done is done, with much advice I'm happy the fish are alive.

They are ravenous now and I'm wondering how long I should keep them in this small tank. I am going to build a small ten gallon, other than them coral, inverts only. It has taken a lot of effort and money to keep this 5 up. If I put them in the other then continue the same regimine until time is up would it be safe to change water give it time and then slowly introduce the coral?

I have to disagree a bit. I do not consider it your fault. I do see you have been through a tough, hard learning experience as many of us have.

And so happy the fishes are doing better. ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back