Info!

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I came home today and noticed this brown substance in the sand of the aquarium, it was clear this morning. Any idea what it may be?

IMG_1728.JPG

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, snail stopped the circulation pump, thinking that played a part in the quick build up

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably they are going to get worse before they get better. It usually means your cycle is complete but the only way to know for sure is testing. Clean up crews can keep them at bay but usually wont get rid of them, Time is the only thing that will completely get rid of them. If your nitrates and phosphates are high I would do a water change, If not just let them run their course. They thrive on silicates which in a new tank everything you added has them, sand rock all new plastics. Make sure you are using RO/DI water on your changes otherwise you are just adding more silicates and feeding them. You are entering what in known as the UGLY phase. It can last anywhere from a couple of months to years if you don't stay on top of it. Your tank needs to find a balance and it will with time.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably they are going to get worse before they get better. It usually means your cycle is complete but the only way to know for sure is testing. Clean up crews can keep them at bay but usually wont get rid of them, Time is the only thing that will completely get rid of them. If your nitrates and phosphates are high I would do a water change, If not just let them run their course. They thrive on silicates which in a new tank everything you added has them, sand rock all new plastics. Make sure you are using RO/DI water on your changes otherwise you are just adding more silicates and feeding them. You are entering what in known as the UGLY phase. It can last anywhere from a couple of months to years if you don't stay on top of it. Your tank needs to find a balance and it will with time.
Great info the ask you! I hate to ask this but what is RO/DI

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse Osmosis Deionized water. Its what you should be using to mix your salt water and to top off the tank with, otherwise you are adding impurities (silicates and heavy metals and other unwanted stuff) to the tank which will build up and cause you all kinds of problems (like diatoms and other unwanted algae). Even if you buy your saltwater from a store, you still want to get a RO/DI unit to top off the tank. Always top off with pure water, not salt water, because salt does not evaporate.

OP
OP
Apenagos33

Apenagos33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse Osmosis Deionized water. Its what you should be using to mix your salt water and to top off the tank with, otherwise you are adding impurities (silicates and heavy metals and other unwanted stuff) to the tank which will build up and cause you all kinds of problems (like diatoms and other unwanted algae). Even if you buy your saltwater from a store, you still want to get a RO/DI unit to top off the tank. Always top off with pure water, not salt water, because salt does not evaporate.
I appreciate it, I just started my tank two weeks ago and bought the water from the stores cycled tank, so still learning! Thank you again

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back