Ingestion of foreign objects by fish

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello,
In the past, 5+ years ago I have lost fish with the ingestion of foreign non organic objects. Filter material mainly, found through necropsy, sometimes 795 silicone on large displays. Normally fish where in the display tank and abnormal behavior was sometime missed.

Now I have a ~ 8" Pomacanthus angelfish in quarantine that has developed a interest in eating algae off of black silicone. I have witnessed large and small strings of silicon completely removed from the glass by this fish, presumably ingesting small pieces of silicone in the process. I would estimate in the size range of 1mm dia and 2 to 5 mm long. Nothing visibly noted in specimen feces as of yet.

Have noted the following symptoms over the last week.
1) Slightly decreased interest in prepared foods. However is readily consuming algae in the aquarium.
2) No change in abdominal size when with holding food.
3) Appears to still be experiencing regular bowel movements.

So this brings me to my series of questions.

1) What are the typical symptoms to present with a foreign object intestinal blockage? Behavior changes? Pathology? Typical time frame from onset of symptoms to death?
2) Are their any diagnostic procedures, x-ray or ultrasound?
3) Are there any known treatment options available in the event of a positive diagnoses? Seems like an appropriate instrument under sedation and with use of guided radiography. https://vetovation.com/product/long-jaw-grasping-forceps/ or https://bossinstruments.com/product/alligator-cup-forceps-2mm-cup-200mm-str/. Considering the high level of risk associated with such a procedure, I would absolutely need a positive diagnostic test.
4) What part of the digestive organ track is most likely to not pass the foreign object? When I have preformed necropsies in the past, the foreign object was in the stomach.
5) Best options for preventing this behavior. Considering modification to the aquarium by the addition of 1/4" acrylic to each silicone joint on the inside of the aquarium? Use of acrylic aquariums?

Certainly feeling somewhat deflated on this one, purpose built Aqueon aquarium having the potential to kill livestock. Anyone else experience a similar issue?

Last edited:

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately i cant answer any of your medical questions but im surprised to hear hes able to pull silicone off the glass. Its usually adheared pretty well, and ive only ever seen urchins pull it off. In the meantime i would add a sheet of torn up nori or dried seaweed to graze on since hes so interested in the algae. And since hes in qt so you can also use an algaecide to eliminate the algae so he stops going after the seams. Good luck

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept an uncommon bird for years that ate inappropriate things--his own shed feathers and even plastic film. His dietary requirements weren't being met by commercial food and once I started supplementing with sulfur-containing amino acids the problem resolved.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some aquariums are built with armored seams, basically just small strips of glass (or maybe other materials, IDK), that are adhered to the inside of the tank corners. It gives protects the seams and leaves practically no silicone exposed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Marine Veteranarian would do xrays

Symptoms would be loss of appetite, abdominal distention or pinched stomach. Also stringy white poop and swimming at the surface and gasping for air. You can give fish Peas that are boiled and cooled and offering the inner meat relieving constipation. Seachem Metroplex added to food will help with internal issues

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
In the past, 5+ years ago I have lost fish with the ingestion of foreign non organic objects. Filter material mainly, found through necropsy, sometimes 795 silicone on large displays. Normally fish where in the display tank and abnormal behavior was sometime missed.

Now I have a ~ 8" Pomacanthus angelfish in quarantine that has developed a interest in eating algae off of black silicone. I have witnessed large and small strings of silicon completely removed from the glass by this fish, presumably ingesting small pieces of silicone in the process. I would estimate in the size range of 1mm dia and 2 to 5 mm long. Nothing visibly noted in specimen feces as of yet.

Have noted the following symptoms over the last week.
1) Slightly decreased interest in prepared foods. However is readily consuming algae in the aquarium.
2) No change in abdominal size when with holding food.
3) Appears to still be experiencing regular bowel movements.

So this brings me to my series of questions.

1) What are the typical symptoms to present with a foreign object intestinal blockage? Behavior changes? Pathology? Typical time frame from onset of symptoms to death?
2) Are their any diagnostic procedures, x-ray or ultrasound?
3) Are there any known treatment options available in the event of a positive diagnoses? Seems like an appropriate instrument under sedation and with use of guided radiography. https://vetovation.com/product/long-jaw-grasping-forceps/ or https://bossinstruments.com/product/alligator-cup-forceps-2mm-cup-200mm-str/. Considering the high level of risk associated with such a procedure, I would absolutely need a positive diagnostic test.
4) What part of the digestive organ track is most likely to not pass the foreign object? When I have preformed necropsies in the past, the foreign object was in the stomach.
5) Best options for preventing this behavior. Considering modification to the aquarium by the addition of 1/4" acrylic to each silicone joint on the inside of the aquarium? Use of acrylic aquariums?

Certainly feeling somewhat deflated on this one, purpose built Aqueon aquarium having the potential to kill livestock. Anyone else experience a similar issue?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I’ve not seen much of this recently, but I have seen big pomacanthids eat fake rubber gorgonians. We lost some to that issue. I’ve had issues with electric eels swallowing substrate.I’ve also seen smaller fish expelling filter floss in their feces.

I don’t think these materials would be radio opaque - they might show on ultrasound at the point of impaction though.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
suspected timeframe from ingestion to symptoms to death?
Sorry - that was 40 years ago, and I don't think we had any sense of when the issue started versus when we lost fish.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is magnesium citrate toxic to aquatic life if administered orally?

Doesn't magnesium sulfate have some purgative effect? The oral dose for that is 3% by weight in food.

Jay

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Do the fish have a psychiatric diagnosis of pica ?

Ingestion of foreign objects of fish… interesting

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,
Dosage is based on estimated weight of specimen?
No, that is one of the few food medications that is dosed by weight of food, not the weight of the fish. So - 3grams Epsom salts in 97 grams of gel diet.
Bear in mind that the intended use for this is to expel parasites….
Jay

OP
OP
S

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, that is one of the few food medications that is dosed by weight of food, not the weight of the fish. So - 3grams Epsom salts in 97 grams of gel diet.
Bear in mind that the intended use for this is to expel parasites….
Jay
Thank you for the clarification.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back