Injury or Infection on My Foxface?

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems my Foxface has an injury or infection of some sort near it's mouth. What do you think? Are there any treatment recommendations? He's in a Reefer 350 with other fish and coral in it. I don't like the idea of trying to catch him and putting him in a separate tank. Will it heal on it's own?

I should note that it's behavior seems fine. He is active and feeding. He resides with a yellow Tang and a Coral beauty and none of them are bothering each other, so I don't think it's an injury from bullying.
_RZF0085.jpeg
_RZF0085 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems my Foxface has an injury or infection of some sort near it's mouth. What do you think? Are there any treatment recommendations? He's in a Reefer 350 with other fish and coral in it. I don't like the idea of trying to catch him and putting him in a separate tank. Will it heal on it's own?

I should note that it's behavior seems fine. He is active and feeding. He resides with a yellow Tang and a Coral beauty and none of them are bothering each other, so I don't think it's an injury from bullying.
_RZF0085.jpeg
_RZF0085 (1).jpeg
It looks like an injury to me, possibly with a secondary bacterial infection. I agree, as long as it is still eating well and the lesion doesn’t get a lot bigger, I wouldn’t treat. The normal treatment would be to move the fish (don’t forget they have venomous spines) to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or furan-2.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like an injury to me, possibly with a secondary bacterial infection. I agree, as long as it is still eating well and the lesion doesn’t get a lot bigger, I wouldn’t treat. The normal treatment would be to move the fish (don’t forget they have venomous spines) to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or furan-2.

Jay Hemdal
Thanks. I'll take daily pictures and keep an eye on him.

OP
OP
RJinPV

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post an update to tie this off. I left him in the display tank. Here is a picture I took two days ago. The wound is healing and the fish is still active and eating well. I expect a full healing in a week or two.

_RZF0107.jpeg

Back