OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed a few new pieces yesterday, and they are now cooking in the QT.

DSC00704.jpg

Right now my QT procedure is 6 weeks of QT, with repeated dips every 2 weeks. What QT regimens do other reefers use?

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are gonna need a trimming soon in the display. The corals on the rock scapes have grown into each other!

Edit: video won’t load/play. Sorry.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October Updates: Is anyone out there?

I've had a heck of an October with the reef, especially the frag tank. I added egg-crate to the frag tank and created elevated platforms for better detritus control. Every time I add egg, I get a nasty dino bloom. This time, I decided to add expensive "acrylic egg crate" in case polystyrene (classic egg crate) leeched something that dinos preferentially fed on. Unfortunately, the acrylic egg crate fared no better, and I have a dino bloom on my hands again. Hopefully it's temporary like it has always been in the past...

This is a deceptive angle, that hides the dino nasties.
DSC00790.jpg

It pains me to share this view :(. Look at all of the dinos, especially under the Radion section.
DSC00791.jpg

Now that we have the nasties out of the way, lets move onto some eye candy:

I've been propagating WWC OG bounces in my frag tank, and have collected quite a few now.
DSC00765.jpg

Some of them have really nice looking bubbles, like this one!
DSC00781.jpg

I got overzealous this summer and fragged a ton of goniopora up. I only have 2 of the UC Space goni frags left, but still have a ton of the ORA Red gonis...
DSC00786.jpg

Finally, the XY Blue Bonnet Tenius is looking really nice. It's starting to get some orange corallites at the base.
DSC00793.jpg

Last edited:

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank! The acros look really unique and the bounce is MASSIVE!!

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somehow managed to semi-bleach the acros in my display. At least the frag tank is still looking nice. :/

Superman Rhodactis
DSC00823.jpg

Assorted acro-frags
DSC00828.jpg

XY Blueberry Donut Acro - This one is starting to look really special.
DSC00829.jpg

Hawkins Echinata
DSC00830.jpg

Red Millepora
DSC00833.jpg

SC Orange Passion
DSC00834.jpg

Homewrecker
DSC00835.jpg

I gave up on all of my eggcrate; the dino bloom was too much. Since removal of the eggcrate, 95% of the dinos have disappeared. Still dealing with a bit left, but I expect this too to recede with time.
DSC00839.jpg
DSC00841.jpg

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone follows this thread still, but I've made a couple minor changes to the tank.

As you can see below, my tank was getting a bit overgrown. The Red Monti, Aussie gold, and WWC Yellow Tips were growing out of control, and basically steadily taking over the tank. Given the overgrowth, my scape also lots its original image and visual flow. As such, I decided it was time to perform a drastic tear down and aggressive trimming.
IMG_7712.JPG

I ended up removing the colonies completely, cutting myself a small frag of each to regrow and giving the colonies away to a friend of mine.
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

I also took the opportunity cut a majority of my other acropora, and made numerous trimmings which I gave a lot away too.
IMG_7758.JPG
IMG_7759.JPG
IMG_7760.JPG
IMG_7761.JPG

As originally planned, I took the opportunity to add some new acropora (from the frag tank) to the display. Hopefully once things grow out in a few months, I will have better color contrast and visual flow. Wow, the tank looks empty now. Better turn down alkalinity, calcium and magnesium supplementation so I don't crash the system on accident...
DSC00864.jpg

Frag Tank:
Although I made a drastic change to the display, not much has changed in the frag tank. Here's some eye-candy though.
DSC00856.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

QT Tank:
I've got a cool green birdsnest that I'm in the process of QTing; it's going to go where the WWC Yellow Tips was previously in the display. I think that the green will contrast well with the pink millepora that will sit in front of it. I also have some cool zoas (rainbow fusions) in the QT process too.
DSC00857.jpg

In an effort to keep out all coral pests, I've even been QTing my invertebrates. Here's a cool Salmacis Bicolor Urchin.
DSC00859.jpg

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and pictures!

Question for you going back to the giesemann setup. Was that with a 150w or 250w? How high did you have it hung and how was the coverage side to side with a 36” tank

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone follows this thread still, but I've made a couple minor changes to the tank.

As you can see below, my tank was getting a bit overgrown. The Red Monti, Aussie gold, and WWC Yellow Tips were growing out of control, and basically steadily taking over the tank. Given the overgrowth, my scape also lots its original image and visual flow. As such, I decided it was time to perform a drastic tear down and aggressive trimming.
IMG_7712.JPG

I ended up removing the colonies completely, cutting myself a small frag of each to regrow and giving the colonies away to a friend of mine.
IMG_7730.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

I also took the opportunity cut a majority of my other acropora, and made numerous trimmings which I gave a lot away too.
IMG_7758.JPG
IMG_7759.JPG
IMG_7760.JPG
IMG_7761.JPG

As originally planned, I took the opportunity to add some new acropora (from the frag tank) to the display. Hopefully once things grow out in a few months, I will have better color contrast and visual flow. Wow, the tank looks empty now. Better turn down alkalinity, calcium and magnesium supplementation so I don't crash the system on accident...
DSC00864.jpg

Frag Tank:
Although I made a drastic change to the display, not much has changed in the frag tank. Here's some eye-candy though.
DSC00856.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

QT Tank:
I've got a cool green birdsnest that I'm in the process of QTing; it's going to go where the WWC Yellow Tips was previously in the display. I think that the green will contrast well with the pink millepora that will sit in front of it. I also have some cool zoas (rainbow fusions) in the QT process too.
DSC00857.jpg

In an effort to keep out all coral pests, I've even been QTing my invertebrates. Here's a cool Salmacis Bicolor Urchin.
DSC00859.jpg
Still following! Honestly the monti was the center piece if you ask me. That’s the best shape I have seen so far, but I agree it has to go.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and pictures!

Question for you going back to the giesemann setup. Was that with a 150w or 250w? How high did you have it hung and how was the coverage side to side with a 36” tank
It was the 250W. I only hung it 6-8 inches above the waterline. No issues with coverage, it just got too hot.

Still following! Honestly the monti was the center piece if you ask me. That’s the best shape I have seen so far, but I agree it has to go.
Agreed. The flow pattern in the back corner of the tank must have been suitable for it, because it scrolled in a stunning fashion. I replanted a frag of it, and plan on growing it back out again.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acro collection continues to slowly grow, but I was able to get rid of a majority of the trimmings from January.
DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

My CSB is also slowly recovering too. Two months ago it had a rotting mouth and I thought I was going to lose it for good.
DSC00959.jpg

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acro collection continues to slowly grow, but I was able to get rid of a majority of the trimmings from January.
DSC00955.jpg

DSC00957.jpg

My CSB is also slowly recovering too. Two months ago it had a rotting mouth and I thought I was going to lose it for good.
DSC00959.jpg
Mind sharing? :p

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back