OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are still just using Kalk to keep up with demands?

Would it be possible to get a list of equipment you use for this system?
I'm using a combination of Kalk and ATI essentials pro. Kalk alone isn't enough to keep up with demand.

Display
Lighting: 2x Reefi Duo Extremes
Flow: 2x Tunze Stream 3 and 2x Tunze 6040

Frag Tank
Lighting: 2x Radion Gen 3s over SPS section and 1x Kessil AP700 over non-sps section
Flow: 2x Maxspect XF350s

Sump
Return: Sicce ADV 10.0
Skimmer: Reef Octopus INT 5000
Reactors: AVAST Spyglass with carbon and AVAST K2 Alk Reactor
Doser: CoralBox Wifi Doser (ATI Essentials Pro and Neophos) and VERSA for kalk feed
UV: TMC Vecton 600

Misc
Alk Testing: Alkatronic
Water Change: DOS
Misc Pumps: Small Sicce and Maxijet to feed UV and separate LR section
Backup Battery: 2x35 AH batteries for display and sump flow in case of power outage.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much kalk are you running through on a weekly basis?
Display and Frag are tied into the same sump, correct?
Your system is beautiful. I'm envious.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much kalk are you running through on a weekly basis?
Display and Frag are tied into the same sump, correct?
Your system is beautiful. I'm envious.
Thanks!
On a daily basis, I go through about 7L kalk, which equates to ~49L a week. And yes, both systems are tied to each other for ease of maintenance!

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of Kalk!
I've got a smaller Avast Kalk stirrer and I like it, but I dont use it much.
I need to set up my controller so I'll have a safety net.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
On a daily basis, I go through about 7L kalk, which equates to ~49L a week. And yes, both systems are tied to each other for ease of maintenance!
7L is ur daily evaporation rate?!

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7L is ur daily evaporation rate?!
It's higher than 7liters a day. I think it comes out to about 11 liters or ~3 gallons a day. I only dose 7 liters of kalk though. I try to not push kalk volume close to evaporation rate in case evaporation varies from day to day.

That's a lot of Kalk!
I've got a smaller Avast Kalk stirrer and I like it, but I dont use it much.
I need to set up my controller so I'll have a safety net.
It's a pretty big system though. I really like the kalk reactor.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I upgraded my sps tank to a similar size around the same time but you absolutely kicked my butt on growth! Great work!

What kind of salt you using there? I just need one more nice sps keeper to say IO so I can switch off blue bucket but I’m gun-shy as it’s given me really stable results for years.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I upgraded my sps tank to a similar size around the same time but you absolutely kicked my butt on growth! Great work!

What kind of salt you using there? I just need one more nice sps keeper to say IO so I can switch off blue bucket but I’m gun-shy as it’s given me really stable results for years.
Ha thanks. Your colonies are nothing to scoff at either though; like that heartbreaker colony...

I also use instant ocean, but the main reason I use it is because it's so cheap.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha thanks. Your colonies are nothing to scoff at either though; like that heartbreaker colony...

I also use instant ocean, but the main reason I use it is because it's so cheap.

Awesome thanks!

I see your secret now haha, I missed the easysps and easybooster! And you have those on dosing pumps?? Have not seen that before with coral foods.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks!

I see your secret now haha, I missed the easysps and easybooster! And you have those on dosing pumps?? Have not seen that before with coral foods.
I stopped using EasySPS and Easybooster about six months ago? I have no idea how much easySPS had been off for as the doser was clogged from EasySPS salt crystals for god knows how long prior.

I find that I get comparable growth and coloration with just keeping my PO4 around 0.1ppm.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an photo update on my SPS grow outs!

XY Blue Bonnet
XY Blue Bonnet.jpg

XY Blueberry Donut
XY Blueberry Donut.jpg

Homewrecker
Homewrecker.jpg

SC Orange Passion
SCOP.jpg

JF TNT Anacropora
Anacropora - JF TNT.jpg

Sunset Millepora
Acro - Sunset Mille.jpg

Hawkins Echinata
Acro - Hawkins Echinata.jpg

Frogskin Acropora
Acro - Frogskin.jpg

WWC Yellow Tips
Acro WWC Yellow Tips.jpg

Unknown Acropora - I love the fundip colors...
Acro - Fundip.jpg

Cali Tort
Acro - Cali Tort.jpg

Needle in a Haystack
Acro - Needle in a Haystack.jpg

Pink Millepora
Acro - Pink Mille.jpg

Snipers Millepora
Acro - Snipers Mille.jpg

Blue Tipped Green Slimer
Acro - Blue Tipped Green Slimer.jpg

Harry's Pink/Rainbow Millepora
Acro - Harry's Mille.jpg

Mercury Rising
Acro - Mercury Rising.jpg

Something Sinister Granulosa
Acro - Something Sinister.jpg

Unknown Green Table
Acro - Unknown Table.jpg

JF Rainbow Stylo
Stylo - JF Rainbow.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you like the IM150, any pros and cons?
I like it quite a lot. The aluminum stand is fantastic. It’s probably my favorite tank I have had including a couple custom ones.

However not all is perfect. The overflow cover should be class. The acrylic warps. Also the back isn’t clear glass with a coating to be black, it’s acrylic full back. Not a huge deal but would prefer glass. I’m sure they did that to accommodate the external overflow though so I can’t really complain about it.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it quite a lot. The aluminum stand is fantastic. It’s probably my favorite tank I have had including a couple custom ones.

However not all is perfect. The overflow cover should be class. The acrylic warps. Also the back isn’t clear glass with a coating to be black, it’s acrylic full back. Not a huge deal but would prefer glass. I’m sure they did that to accommodate the external overflow though so I can’t really complain about it.
thanks for the feedback, been researching IM150 which would've been perfect tank capacity however a bit hesitant about the depth (35"). When you say "acrylic warps" are u referring to the overflow cover? Didn't realize entire back isn't glass...

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the feedback, been researching IM150 which would've been perfect tank capacity however a bit hesitant about the depth (35"). When you say "acrylic warps" are u referring to the overflow cover? Didn't realize entire back isn't glass...
The back is glass, but has a sheet of black acrylic covering it if I wasn't clear. Yes for the warping I mean the overflow cover.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow amazing tank! I followed your tank over on NR. Didn’t know you upgraded!! Woot woot.

min other notes I wish you shipped coral! Absolutely spectacular collection

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you like the IM150, any pros and cons?
I love it. The foot print is great. The build quality is solid.

In terms of cons, similar to what Hart24601 mentioned, the back wall is a sheet of black acrylic siliconed to the glass. While it creates a seamless look, it makes it so you can't scrape the back wall with a razor blade. The overflow cover also warps from the humidity as well.

Wow amazing tank! I followed your tank over on NR. Didn’t know you upgraded!! Woot woot.

min other notes I wish you shipped coral! Absolutely spectacular collection
Thanks for following my build for so long!

:( My coral collection has decreased over the past 2 months. I've had an unknown RTN rampage across my acros. Lost approximately a frag or colony a week for the past 12 weeks.

Fortunately, LPS and softies are still doing well! If the acros eventually all die, I'm actually looking into transitioning into a non-acro display.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. The foot print is great. The build quality is solid.

In terms of cons, similar to what Hart24601 mentioned, the back wall is a sheet of black acrylic siliconed to the glass. While it creates a seamless look, it makes it so you can't scrape the back wall with a razor blade. The overflow cover also warps from the humidity as well.

Thanks for following my build for so long!

:( My coral collection has decreased over the past 2 months. I've had an unknown RTN rampage across my acros. Lost approximately a frag or colony a week for the past 12 weeks.

Fortunately, LPS and softies are still doing well! If the acros eventually all die, I'm actually looking into transitioning into a non-acro display.
Oh wow! Have you gotten an icp test? Could also be bacterial. Melafix dips or erythromycin could possibly help. Hopefully you don’t loose all of them!

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Have you gotten an icp test? Could also be bacterial. Melafix dips or erythromycin could possibly help. Hopefully you don’t loose all of them!
No ICP test; I have yet to find a thread where ICP has definitively saved a tank by the time things start RTNing.

It's a fairly sporadic RTN and doesn't seen to follow a pattern in which acros it hits. Acro colonies can go from looking great with full PE to peeling with full PE to completely peeled within 24 hours. I've come to term with it.

Back