Innovative marine 30L Refugium ideas

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I have a 30L innovative marine tank. Been up for about two months and everything has been going well so far. I have always wanted a mandarin goby but I am aware they only eat opioids and it can be difficult to house them successfully without a Refugium or a good source of food.

I have thought of the Refugium light and just making a compartment in the media basket but think I want to do a real Refugium under the tank in the stand. Any ideas on the pumps and set up to have a Refugium in an all in one tank?
IMG_6456.JPG
IMG_6455.JPG
IMG_6422.JPG

OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant copipods not opioids hahahaha. Also will post more pics of the available space and day light on the tank

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 l as well. Have you looked at the custom caddy with the IM refugium lights. You will have to peel a piece of the black backing off to fit the light. I have never run a refugium on this particular tank but that's what Nuvo suggests.

OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 l as well. Have you looked at the custom caddy with the IM refugium lights. You will have to peel a piece of the black backing off to fit the light. I have never run a refugium on this particular tank but that's what Nuvo suggests.

Yea I've seen that version of Refugium and thought of doing that if it's the best/only option.

I think I would prefer an actual maybe 15 gallon Refugium under the display if possible for more copipod production and better nitrate and phosphate removal if possible.

Wondering if anyone has tried a refuge for an AIO aquarium or thoughts on making it happen

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coming along nicely!

KSReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 l. Have a desktop reactor for carbon and midsize reactor for GFO, midsize ghost skimmer. Plan on getting two baskets. One for Refugium with the IM fuge light and then chemi pure and purigen. Also have another desktop reactor for biopellets. Overkill but plan on having a high bioload in the tank.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM30L w one basket as a fuge and a filter sock in the other. Running a ghost skimmer and desktop reactor with gfo. Bag of carbon w some rubble in the heater compartment. Plenty of pods in the fuge and tank. Fuge has chaeto. Have a clown, royal gramma, chromis, flame tail Blenny, purple fire fish, and a line spot flasher wrasse. Picking up a red dragonet this weekend.

OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 l. Have a desktop reactor for carbon and midsize reactor for GFO, midsize ghost skimmer. Plan on getting two baskets. One for Refugium with the IM fuge light and then chemi pure and purigen. Also have another desktop reactor for biopellets. Overkill but plan on having a high bioload in the tank.

Sounds like a great setup! Any pics of the equipment setup

OP
OP
nickenayat

nickenayat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM30L w one basket as a fuge and a filter sock in the other. Running a ghost skimmer and desktop reactor with gfo. Bag of carbon w some rubble in the heater compartment. Plenty of pods in the fuge and tank. Fuge has chaeto. Have a clown, royal gramma, chromis, flame tail Blenny, purple fire fish, and a line spot flasher wrasse. Picking up a red dragonet this weekend.

I've heard the IM refuge light can be too powerful and kills the algae rather than grow it. Have you experienced this at all? How long would you say it took to get a good colony of pods, or did you add some from the start?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard the IM refuge light can be too powerful and kills the algae rather than grow it. Have you experienced this at all? How long would you say it took to get a good colony of pods, or did you add some from the start?
I am not using the IM fuge light, I bought a used JBJ fuge light from a guy in my local reef club......but it appears to be very similar to the IM light, I have never added pods, what I have came in on frags or the chaeto I got to start with about 7 months ago (tank has been up for 11 months). I am however going to pick up some tisbe pods when I pick up the dragonet just to give the tank a boost when I add him.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back