Innovative marine skimmer showdown

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What am i doing wrong?

IM Lagoon 25. I have my water level set correctly. I've been running the skimmer (used, came with this tank) for a few hours now with the cup as high up as it can be set, and it's just getting flooded with bubbles. There's no more adjustment i can do to reduce the cup flooding in a hurry. Thoughts?

This not a solution but thought I share the experience. Mine also goes bubbles crazy every time I replace all filter pads on both of the media trays. Usually I just let it run with skimmer off 1/2 day before kicking it back on manually the next morning. As a result I only rotate the filter pads and only replace 1/2 of the filter pads any one time.

I don't know if you noticed something like that which may be causing the skimmer to react like it does.

GtiKyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This not a solution but thought I share the experience. Mine also goes bubbles crazy every time I replace all filter pads on both of the media trays. Usually I just let it run with skimmer off 1/2 day before kicking it back on manually the next morning. As a result I only rotate the filter pads and only replace 1/2 of the filter pads any one time.

I don't know if you noticed something like that which may be causing the skimmer to react like it does.
I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for the tips. I feel like something is a miss since it's just boiling over so fast.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ghost skimmer that came with a used tank and always thought some parts were missing after i saw pics of the new one. I suppose there is no airline, can anyone tell me? On the new one there is an airline coming from what looks like the same part on the ghost but ghost has no airline and its capped off. I dont even know why its there if its capped off! The part where you adjust the bubble or I guess that is air adjustment has a very small valve with nothing attached. It looks kind of like something is supposed to attach there. Is that just where the air enters? Is anything at all suppose to attach to the skimmer?

Sorry I don know all the correct terminology for parts ect not even sure if you call that a valve...lol , so hope I am making sense! LOL. I know that I have had a heck of a time dialing it in! It seemed to fill up way to fast or not at all. I top off maually so I noticed that after not topping it off a day or two and having the water level much lower it started to finally collect good skim! The type of skim that sort of clings together then slowly falls into the cup! Is that how it is supposed to skim? or are the bubbles supposed to just fall into cup? How many days should it take b4 you need to empty it? I was just about to replace it because I just watched the same video about how much better the new one is! Now I am beginning to think I just need less water in tank! I like the way the tank looks though filled higher!

The reviews are horrible on BRS! So many reviews saying the motor broke after a short period and I am sure my ghost is pretty old. It model 2003.

Does anyone know of the bioskim? I just saw it on website at 76.00 Dollars! Sold out of corse! I dont know why it is half of the price of the others. I like that it is clear and its a dc and seems to have all the same functions! Maybe it was on clearance at that price. I cant seem to find it anywhere else

I was even considering a cheapo from chewy pets for 44 bucks and petco has an aqueon aio for 5 0 after 20 dollars off special. You probably get what you pay for! Any thoughts on those?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 39 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back