Innovative marine tank. disaster

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i got home from work just to find my room with water all over the floor. I go check my tank and see a big crack on the side of the bottom of the tank. I was only able to save my pair of clown fishes and some snails. Tomorrow i'll be taking them to my lfs. If i ever get back to the hobby again,i would never buy anything from innovate marine.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good. Pics?
Only this have this short video. Can't really see it.

The picture is when i set it up back in 2020. The arrow is where it cracked on the side

Attachments

• 20220519_165147.mp4
    22.4 MB
  • Screenshot_20220519-202406_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-202406_Photos.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 529

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if something wasn’t level? Such a bummer. Haven’t really heard of this with their nanos or any of them really. I hear about Red Sea all the time.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if something wasn’t level? Such a bummer. Haven’t really heard of this with their nanos or any of them really. I hear about Red Sea all the time.
This is how i received it,but this was on the left side and the crack was on the right side. I did put a carboard on the gap. When i first got i email customer service and showed them tbe picture. They said it was fine to use it like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220519-205101_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220519-205101_Photos.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 500

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said it was fine to use it like that
They were wrong

carboard does nothing under weight. You need all 4 corners supported evenly.

Look at the bright side, this was a 20 and not a 100 or 200g tank with the same error

I had a 210 start leaking and I was told it was perfect. Bough a swimming pool drained water in that to re use, moved gravel over, dried seam, silconed seam, holding water now over a decade

Dont let this kick you in the nutz, if you were around northern ca id give you a 50 I have laying around.

Someone here can probably donate a 20 for you.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sorry to read this. I hope this does not drive you away from the hobby.

It amazes me how often I see this from the top name builders. My own tank, 55g was built by a company called Aquarium Design. I was told by "people who know" that this is the "K-Mart of tank builders"... "Not worth the cost of the plastic rims" yadda yadda. I have had this tank, which I got used, for over 30 years! Never lost a drop of water from it. It has survived freshwater, saltwater, a fire, saltwater again, freshwater again, empty for several years, freshwater again for many years and now once again saltwater. Best tank I've ever owned!!

I wish K-Mart made cars that lasted so long!! haha

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. It can happen with any vendor. No vendor can guarantee 100% of their tanks won't leak. You rarely hear about nanos leaking and IM sells tons of these 20g tanks. Most been around for 5+ years. I know you ticked off at IM but they do make really nice tanks. Hope they take care of you though.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. It can happen with any vendor. No vendor can guarantee 100% of their tanks won't leak. You rarely hear about nanos leaking and IM sells tons of these 20g tanks. Most been around for 5+ years. I know you ticked off at IM but they do make really nice tanks. Hope they take care of you though.
Thats true. I still don't know how it happend all the rocks were sitting on the bottom. Maybe i got the bad tank.
They were wrong

carboard does nothing under weight. You need all 4 corners supported evenly.

Look at the bright side, this was a 20 and not a 100 or 200g tank with the same error

I had a 210 start leaking and I was told it was perfect. Bough a swimming pool drained water in that to re use, moved gravel over, dried seam, silconed seam, holding water now over a decade

Dont let this kick you in the nutz, if you were around northern ca id give you a 50 I have laying around.

Someone here can probably donate a 20 for you.
Yea they were wrong don't know why i din't ask to replace my stand. Im going to miss my clownfish i don't feel staring all over again for now.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how i received it,but this was on the left side and the crack was on the right side. I did put a carboard on the gap. When i first got i email customer service and showed them tbe picture. They said it was fine to use it like that.
if you bought this new.. they should have sent you a new stand. That is unacceptable and potential failure (which happened).

Honestly they should still send you a new set up assuming this wasn't a used tank you bought somewhere. You reported the damage when you first got it which would have been within warranty.

Even if you don't feel like starting over.... I would try and get them to send you a new set up to keep for a rainy day or even to sell to recoup some cost.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like the stand is the issue. The foam leveling mat that comes pre-applied to the bottom of the tank is damaged on that corner which is on the opposite side of the damage.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like the stand is the issue. The foam leveling mat that comes pre-applied to the bottom of the tank is damaged on that corner which is on the opposite side of the damage.
I was just going to comment on the same thing. The stand is fine - the foam levelling matt appears to be twisted or bunched up under that edge.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back