OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cheomis are a maybe. This helps. I'll remove them. Consider them gone.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried to keep a star fish (other than a serpant)...mainly because most people talk about them melting/dying quickly in home tanks.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs alone can reach 9-10", the blue reef chromis can reach 5", the diamond watchman can get 9"

max sizes should definitely be considered.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and consider a diamond goby carefully...I have one and sometimes regret it. While he's great for sifting the sand, he also prevents me from having any corals in the sand bed because he just buries them. My kids love him though, so I don't have the heart (yet) to get rid of him.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a couple of snails in my fuge but this is again something to be careful with. Snails can and will climb your sump walls and can change chambers. The last thing you want is for a snail to get stuck in the impeller of your skimmer or return pump.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and consider a diamond goby carefully...I have one and sometimes regret it. While he's great for sifting the sand, he also prevents me from having any corals in the sand bed because he just buries them. My kids love him though, so I don't have the heart (yet) to get rid of him.

I have thought of the same thing but I love them. Goby's are my favorite fish.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Equipment has improved to allow more but the old rule of thumb was 1" of fish for every 5g of tank capacity which is just 18" for a 90g. I've kept a 90 reef before and that's probably way too much fish either way. I've pretty much always gone over but I generally been one to favor smaller fish in order to have more variety. I don't do the tang police thing but you could probably get away with 1-2. Purple is not bad and doesn't grow nearly as fast as say a Hippo. The one I have now really has not grown that much in 2 years. My hippo went from quarter sized to fat and big enough to cover most of my hand. Powder blue I have not had that long but growing like a weed. In any case if you want any tangs just buy tiny ones and enjoy them until they outgrow your tank and trade them in or move up to a bigger tank. By the old rule I should only have 40" in my 200 but way past that with a tank full of rock, a good skimmer and a chaeto refugium. Think I have 34 fish right now and to guess at least 100" of fish + tons of corals so my bio load is pretty high and yes I have had some issues but GFO and AF Pro Bio S have helped with that and a biopellet reactor should nip it in the bud. Lots of options but start slow with the fish and build up the bioload slow so your rock/sand etc has time to mature and handle it.

AdamLPSreefer30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon, and I feel like it isn't big enough for my Yellow tang. I have also not had much luck trying to add others, including a powder blue recently. I would add the tang first or have a separate acclimation tank. (Good article recently on R2R on tang police, check it out)

Check out a melanarus wrasse, pretty colorful and they dive into the sand at night.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm
Equipment has improved to allow more but the old rule of thumb was 1" of fish for every 5g of tank capacity which is just 18" for a 90g. I've kept a 90 reef before and that's probably way too much fish either way. I've pretty much always gone over but I generally been one to favor smaller fish in order to have more variety. I don't do the tang police thing but you could probably get away with 1-2. Purple is not bad and doesn't grow nearly as fast as say a Hippo. The one I have now really has not grown that much in 2 years. My hippo went from quarter sized to fat and big enough to cover most of my hand. Powder blue I have not had that long but growing like a weed. In any case if you want any tangs just buy tiny ones and enjoy them until they outgrow your tank and trade them in or move up to a bigger tank. By the old rule I should only have 40" in my 200 but way past that with a tank full of rock, a good skimmer and a chaeto refugium. Think I have 34 fish right now and to guess at least 100" of fish + tons of corals so my bio load is pretty high and yes I have had some issues but GFO and AF Pro Bio S have helped with that and a biopellet reactor should nip it in the bud. Lots of options but start slow with the fish and build up the bioload slow so your rock/sand etc has time to mature and handle it.

I agree about the tang. I'm going to do one. Do you recommend any particular tang that stays small? I also like smaller fish and have been working on finding them. Do you have as my recomendations? This is my first draft and I am more than willing to change some things up.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasses and would recommend them to anyone. My favorite is my vermiculite leopard. But with wrasses you have to keep your mandarin in mind. Wrasses can be pod eaters (all of mine are) and will easily out eat a mandarin.

Back