Input on my sump set up!

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings friends! I will try not to make this post too super long! Basically I what I believe is a really good deal on the sump you see pictured! That being said, I have some 1/4" acrylic on the way as I want to customize it. So...here are the things I'm working through:

What would you make sure to put by way of "compartments"? (The sump is 36"x14"x16" Deep Blue)
I plan on my final tank being a bare bottom with fish and corals.
What order would you put the components in the sump? (I did watch a BRS video that says to put the skimmer first)

I currently have 3 biocubes, but will be upgrading to a 90 gallon tank in the future. With that being said, should I:
Set it up and do a HOB filter for my reef biocube?
Set up, put live rock in and let it circulate without it being connected to my Nano reef?

I'm ok doing it either way, part of the fun with this is the journey. Feel free to offer feedback or ask questions if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!

P.S. - Don't judge my office space, I need to do some fall cleaning!

IMG_1181.jpg

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if possible I prefer to keep all filters etc in the sump but unfortunately unless you add another tank you won’t be able to have a refugium otherwise it looks good

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually very close in dimensions as this, (found it last night perusing)

So I’m going to use that as my blueprint. I just got it so much cheaper!

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!!!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to say, you might have enough space to create skimmer section after the socks, and then a small fudge after that. Just like the trigger you posted.

I am not following your other questions about hob and your nano?

OP
OP
estevenson78

estevenson78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input foxt. What I mean is, would it be worth my time and effort to put a HOB overflow on my nano tank and run it to this SUMP set up until I get my large tank. That way I'm cycling it off of my current system and it's ready to go with a large tank in due time?

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the sole purpose of running the HOB off the nano is to cycle the sump that will eventually be moved to the larger tank, I'd say it isn't worth the hassle. When the time comes, you can get the new tank/sump set up and running, and seed that system with some rock or other media from nano, like a sponge filter. Or you could use a HOB and a reactor loaded with media to capture a biofilter.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back