Insecticide I’m RODI water

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 55 gallons of water in a brute (no lid) and while blowing out the garage/driveway some insecticide I had sprinkled out on the driveway taking care of some ants got blown around and I watched the thermals carry it right back into the garage. The insecticide was 7 dust, would you be dumping the water and starting over? Hard to say how much, if any actually got in the water. This is water to start up my new tank so it’s currently just circulating in the brute, tank is still empty. Thanks for any feedback

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump it. For such a limited exposure I probably wouldn't replace the vessel, but with known exposure to an explicitly toxic chemical, I think replacing it is often a good choice unless you can assure that any reside is completely removed (and this requires knowing the chemical, the vessel's material, and cleaning methods - not everything comes off with soap and water.)

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If brute water is contaminated with toxins, why would you dump it to go into the ocean via waste water treatment plant.

This is the MSDS data sheet for sevin dust.
It’s a common insecticide you can buy at any Hardware store and sprinkle out in your garden, flower bed, potted plants. So naturally that’s going to be either “watered in” from irrigation or rain. I had it sprinkled out on my drive way and some of the dust got kicked up by my leaf blower and carried by wind thermals into my garage, potentially landing in my brute and also my rock cycling container. This is just a possibility I’ll never know whether any got into the water or not

OP
OP
R

reef’r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both containers were drained out into my flower beds. Refilled the cycling tank with water, I’ll either start with the brute tomorrow or just extend the RODI tubing and go straight into the tank. Thanks everyone for your responses

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back