OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really think the clowns will be eaten, BTW. It's just a diss to the "importance" of the clowns. :)
Hana yeah, I tend to overlook the clowns too. They don't have names like the lionfish and eel. They're very cool in their BTA castle, but they just get outshone by the predators. They could always get eaten one day, especially as the lionfish grow. It's always a risk. I worry when I go out of town for a long weekend and don't feed the lions for 4-5 days if they'll decide to snack on a clownfish. Luckily it hasn't happened yet and I credit that to the anemones.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hana yeah, I tend to overlook the clowns too. They don't have names like the lionfish and eel. They're very cool in their BTA castle, but they just get outshone by the predators. They could always get eaten one day, especially as the lionfish grow. It's always a risk. I worry when I go out of town for a long weekend and don't feed the lions for 4-5 days if they'll decide to snack on a clownfish. Luckily it hasn't happened yet and I credit that to the anemones.
Honestly that's probably the reason they haven't been eaten. Actually I'm sort of shocked that they haven't been gulped up.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its been over a year now and they haven't been a snack yet, so hopefully it won't happen :)

Thank you! :)
Yeah I hope too!

I'm in the process of building a predator reef pool (600 gallons) that will eventually be upgraded to a 1000+ gallon aquarium, so your success will be indicative of my success. I intend to have some small sharks as well as some other assorted predator oddballs in a coral reef. Whether I will be able to make coral succeed is the question for now.

But recently I have gotten a little off track, after I realized that my favorite "fresh water fish," the Gar, is actually brackish and can live without complications in 34 sp water, which means it should do fine in a standard marine tank. So now I'm stuck between gars and sharks, or sharks and reef. And I'm also worried cause it's entirely possible neither will work.

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Felicia I hope you don't mind the enquiry; am looking at putting together a similarly stocked Predator tank.
When you were organising stocking plan and order, did you introduce the Clowns before or after the Predators; also were the introduced after ensuring that there was a happy anemone for them?
I guess I am looking at stocking order, and also how to provide a source of protection in a developing tank ie should one wait till tank >6mths to try establish an anemone before clown intro, or did they use other corals as a territory before an anemone was introduced?
Sorry

OP
OP
FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the crazy delay in responding! I've been super busy with my new job and got really behind on forum posting.

Yeah I hope too!

I'm in the process of building a predator reef pool (600 gallons) that will eventually be upgraded to a 1000+ gallon aquarium, so your success will be indicative of my success. I intend to have some small sharks as well as some other assorted predator oddballs in a coral reef. Whether I will be able to make coral succeed is the question for now.

But recently I have gotten a little off track, after I realized that my favorite "fresh water fish," the Gar, is actually brackish and can live without complications in 34 sp water, which means it should do fine in a standard marine tank. So now I'm stuck between gars and sharks, or sharks and reef. And I'm also worried cause it's entirely possible neither will work.
That is quite the build! Excited to see it get started!

Felicia I hope you don't mind the enquiry; am looking at putting together a similarly stocked Predator tank.
When you were organising stocking plan and order, did you introduce the Clowns before or after the Predators; also were the introduced after ensuring that there was a happy anemone for them?
I guess I am looking at stocking order, and also how to provide a source of protection in a developing tank ie should one wait till tank >6mths to try establish an anemone before clown intro, or did they use other corals as a territory before an anemone was introduced?
Sorry
I never mind questions! I ask plenty myself :) In terms of stocking, the BTA's had been well established for several months (and there were originally 4 large ones) before I added the clowns. Then the clowns were in the tank and hosting the BTA's for several months before the predators were added. I really attribute the fact that they haven't been eaten to the fact that they have a huge cluster of anemones to live in and the predators won't go into the anemones. I really think this only works if the clowns are established in the BTAs before the predators are added and there have to be multiple large BTAs together that the clowns can live in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back