Insights for a beginner.

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get my first corals real soon just wanted to know what you thought would be good starting c peals that grow pretty fast?

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry.....autocorrect changed my mistyped coral as "c peals"? lol

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry, I am sure that will be a name of some designer coral in the near future .... Lol o

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ lol that's funny... I was looking through zoa/paly names earlier thinking that it sounds like the lfs are selling drugs and not coral with some of those names

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for soft coral, Kenya tree coral, star polyps, xniea pom pom, and mushrooms grow good but will take over your tank. I got pretty good growth out of trumpet coral and candy cane coral in lps

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was just thinking that might actually be something. :)
I was thinking about Kenya tree or some zoas. Will my light be enough to be able to keep it?

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas are cool and don't need a whole lot of light (those were my first corals 13 years ago and they are still going strong)...and they are not invasive as some others are such as mushrooms. Xenia is really beautiful but can become a plaque in the tank.

I find any of the leather corals easy to grow as well. Star polyps are also cool as space fillers. All of these are pretty easy to keep and grow and won't get in the way of other corals when you want to try some LPS corals.

You could try a small frag of frogspawn, torch or galaxia LPS corals. I find those as easy to keep as some of the soft corals and they won't break the bank if you start small. I personally think your light over a 55 gallon should be plenty for a lot of different corals.

So, reading back, exactly what Saltanklife said...

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the leather corals easier to keep? They look pretty cool I just don't wanna get ahead of myself.

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the push in the right direction. Now the lfs won't be able to sell me an expensive piece that I can't handle

salttanklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green polyp Toadstool leather is a nice choice imo. They'll grow into a cup shape when they get large and have nice long green polyps that extends from its crown, It's a very hardy coral as well

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... I got mine (toadstool) as a hitchhiker on a rock that I had bought for the zoos on it. They are great and will pinch off smaller versions of themselves that you can move around the tank.

You don't need big specimens, they grow fast and that is the cool part. Look for small stuff, try out several and see which seem to grow better under your lights and your tanks parameters.

OP
OP
Papadovak

Papadovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm definitely buying small pieces that's why I am looking for ones that grow. Lol I never realized how hard it would be to wait...but I know I know I should take it slow...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back