Installed sump from a HOB filter and now fish don't seem to be doing well?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a video real quick of it so we can see unique things, perhaps unstated things. load to youtube then link here to see
I agree with this I and others would be most able to help if we could see what was happening. Outside of that we're all just making generic fairly common problem guesses

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just weird that the snails haven't been moving around at all and that the pipefish is dead and the goby is hidden. Weird to me at least

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if the flow in your tank was incredibly low before A) the pipefish would have an easier time and B) the swimming behavior of your clown and goby would be very different.

But overall I didn't see anything overly concerning. Snails are supposed to stay stationary in the day time in nature as theyre primarily nocturnal

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if the flow in your tank was incredibly low before A) the pipefish would have an easier time and B) the swimming behavior of your clown would be very different.

But overall I didn't see anything overly concerning
It was lower but not super low, my HOB filter created flow and I had a powerhead going. I bet the pipefish got caught in the new stream and wasn't expecting it and got thrown.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute clown! I think everyone is acclimating to the new flow. The hob you had did not create much flow. As I said I would add some carbon in a media bag just in case some plumbing chemicals leached into the tank. Highly unlikely but it can’t hurt

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute clown! I think everyone is acclimating to the new flow. The hob you had did not create much flow. As I said I would add some carbon in a media bag just in case some plumbing chemicals leached into the tank. Highly unlikely but it can’t hurt
The clown is the oldest thing in my tank, hope she makes it.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is the oldest thing in my tank, hope she makes it.
She looks good to me! Just adjusting. I have a few clowns in my mixed reef. My total flow with all the wave pumps is quite high. They manage fine. However when I turn wave pumps off for routine maintenance they freak out a due to change in current. Yours is just reverse.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can check them but I have a warning indicator and that is normal, I assume they are normal.
Are you talking about the Seachem Ammonia alert badges? If so those give false reedings showing everything is OK but the ammonia levels still spike and result in fish deaths.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the Seachem Ammonia alert badges? If so those give false reedings showing everything is OK but the ammonia levels still spike and result in fish deaths.
Correct but I have a test kit too that I can check it with and will check with soon

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeros
IMG_7876.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back