Installed sump from a HOB filter and now fish don't seem to be doing well?

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my clownfish isn't doing well, I turned off the sump and switched back to the HOB filter and am going to to a large water change today

Thoughts?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to accept these losses were preventable and that changing filters didn't cause or save them. You will qt and fallow, or you won't own fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any future fish purchases you make and add here as replacements are directly on purpose losses. Refusing disease preps because they aren't easy and require new efforts yet buying replacement fish at the same time won't work.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any future fish purchases you make and add here as replacements are directly on purpose losses. Refusing to study disease preps because they aren't easy and require extra work from you won't stop these losses.
I have no idea what you're saying

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much but I did clean the tank out a few days ago and did
That more then likely is your culprit. Seen a number of people get a tank crash after stirring up the sand bed. The smaller the DT the bigger the impact can be because you have less tolerance to changes in the water chemistry. But look it up, you will find a lot of posts about this on many different websites. Pull everyone who is still alive out of that tank and get them in a bucket or tub or anything but get them out of that DT. You need to drain the tank rinse and clean the sandbed and fill back up with fresh saltwater. You will need to reestablish your nitrifying bacteria with a bac in a bottle like Fritz Turbo Start etc.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That more then likely is your culprit. Seen a number of people get a tank crash after stirring up the sand bed. The smaller the DT the bigger the impact can be because you have less tolerance to changes in the water chemistry. But look it up, you will find a lot of posts about this on many different websites. Pull everyone who is still alive out of that tank and get them in a bucket or tub or anything but get them out of that DT. You need to drain the tank rinse and clean the sandbed and fill back up with fresh saltwater. You will need to reestablish your nitrifying bacteria with a bac in a bottle like Fritz Turbo Start etc.
I'll do this but does the nitrifying bacteria die? My ammonia levels are zero.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you rinse with SW or RODI it should remain. If you use tap water it more than likely will kill it off.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused as to why I would need to remove everything and recycle the tank, wouldn't a large waterchange solve this issue?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, go read up on it. This is a hard crash your experiencing. If a WC would fix it you would have fixed it already. Haven't you done a big WC already?

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7885.jpeg
Waiting on saltwater to heat up

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update I moved the clown and goby who is about 5% alive into a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone and fresh saltwater. Hoping for the best.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back