Installed sump from a HOB filter and now fish don't seem to be doing well?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased Black Egg Crate, off of Amazon, took me a while to figure out that's what was killing everything I put in a Oceanic Biocube. I believe the Egg Crate, was Polystyrene. I've done massive water changes, after removing. Just have Cabbage Leathers, that are doing well.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have no biological filtration in the bucket be sure and keep an eye on ammonia. Its a small enough container I would do daily changes.
Yep good call, I've been monitoring it and so far no spike in ammonia, I've changed out the water a little bit at a time to not cause more stress than needed. Going to do a massive water change on my display tank today, I'm a bit worried about adding the fish back into the display tank though.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep good call, I've been monitoring it and so far no spike in ammonia, I've changed out the water a little bit at a time to not cause more stress than needed. Going to do a massive water change on my display tank today, I'm a bit worried about adding the fish back into the display tank though.
I wish you luck with them. Maybe try an acclimation box when you put them back in the DT so if you see signs of distress to can get them out quickly?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add Activated Charcoal (rox better than GAC) to the DT to help pull anything out. You could also use something like Purit which has GAC in it as well as resin that will help pull anything bad out of the water faster than just GAC on its own.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add Activated Charcoal (rox better than GAC) to the DT to help pull anything out. You could also use something like Purit which has GAC in it as well as resin that will help pull anything bad out of the water faster than just GAC on its own.
Plus Purit has the added benefit of pulling Phosphate out of the water

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you happen to rinse or wash the sump from the factory before filling?

glad to hear your inhabitants are doing better!

Edit: Maybe disturbing too much of the sand bed created a diabolical bacterial bloom and it had nothing to do with the sump.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you happen to rinse or wash the sump from the factory before filling?

glad to hear your inhabitants are doing better!

Edit: Maybe disturbing too much of the sand bed created a diabolical bacterial bloom and it had nothing to do with the sump.
I’m thinking it was the sanded but idk, I didn’t rinse the sump but maybe I should have clownfish seems to be just fine and the govt is doing well too

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back