Installing a UV

250mixreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 57 watt uv to try and help with bacteria and overall water quality for my 250 gallon reef.Can someone tell me what the correct flow rate for this is. The manufacturer states 2133-3200 per hour. This seems really high. Any input would be appreciated.
IMG_20191117_174905.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from a UV article

*As a Clarifier; For Algae Control (Green Water and some Cloudy Water), 40-50 gph per watt is effective to maintain effective exposure for effective UVC sterilization/radiation (depending on model UV’s design).

*As a TRUE Level One Sterilizer; Generally for bacterial control (& many virus), as well as improved Redox Balance a flow rate of 15-25 gph per watt

*As a Level Two Sterilizer; For single cell parasite control (such as Cryptocaryon) as well as a few “stubborn” viruses, a flow under 10 gph per watt (or even less) is necessary.

OP
OP
250mixreef

250mixreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from a UV article

*As a Clarifier; For Algae Control (Green Water and some Cloudy Water), 40-50 gph per watt is effective to maintain effective exposure for effective UVC sterilization/radiation (depending on model UV’s design).

*As a TRUE Level One Sterilizer; Generally for bacterial control (& many virus), as well as improved Redox Balance a flow rate of 15-25 gph per watt

*As a Level Two Sterilizer; For single cell parasite control (such as Cryptocaryon) as well as a few “stubborn” viruses, a flow under 10 gph per watt (or even less) is necessary.
Thank you

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copied from a UV article

If I were to follow the UV sizing advice given in this article, the recommended flow rate per watt for level 2 sterilization is almost always lower than what’s recommended by the Aqua UV. Which should I follow?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always follow the manufacturer's directions. Flow depends on strength of bulb, UV design (amount of time water is in contact with light), clarity of tube, etc. Flow also depends on what you are trying to achieve....free swimming parasites require a much slower flow than bacteria for example.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy a UV-C sterilization unit for a Freshwater Pond?

54w seems awfully high wattage.

Plz share Mfgr, Model#, pics if the unit

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to follow the UV sizing advice given in this article, the recommended flow rate per watt for level 2 sterilization is almost always lower than what’s recommended by the Aqua UV. Which should I follow?

Without proper testing or testing numbers provided as proof, we do not know if the manufacture is hedging the numbers or not. If I was using it, I would always error on the safe side.

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without proper testing or testing numbers provided as proof, we do not know if the manufacture is hedging the numbers or not. If I was using it, I would always error on the safe side.
Thanks all for your input. For my 100-gal SW tank, should I go for the Aqua UV Classic 50W (sized for 125-gal), or the highest wattage AUV model that I can afford, or a completely different brand/model altogether? Purpose is to sterilize for parasites and other unwanted microorganisms.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If parasite reduction is your goal then the largest you can fit at less than 10 gallons per minute per watt. Do keep in mind that a UV will also funtion as a heater.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy a UV-C sterilization unit for a Freshwater Pond?

54w seems awfully high wattage.

Plz share Mfgr, Model#, pics if the unit

Looks like Aqua UV. I use 4 of the 25w for my 150 system. I put about 450 gph through them

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I need some serious help with my Pentair 25W Smart UV unit. I’ve spent all day today assembling it and dry fit testing the plumbing and everything seemed fine. I’ve followed the instructions to the letter. After confirming that the fittings worked, I’d used primer and PVC cement for all the PVC parts. But when it came time for the Mandatory Leak Test, the outlet union leaked water all over. Now, I’m not sure if this UV unit is salvageable, considering it’s leaking water and I can’t fix the leak from the outlet union because it’s been bonded by PVC glue.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to repair this leaky UV sterilizer, or am I screwed?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I need some serious help with my Pentair 25W Smart UV unit. I’ve spent all day today assembling it and dry fit testing the plumbing and everything seemed fine. I’ve followed the instructions to the letter. After confirming that the fittings worked, I’d used primer and PVC cement for all the PVC parts. But when it came time for the Mandatory Leak Test, the outlet union leaked water all over. Now, I’m not sure if this UV unit is salvageable, considering it’s leaking water and I can’t fix the leak from the outlet union because it’s been bonded by PVC glue.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to repair this leaky UV sterilizer, or am I screwed?

You are not screwed:)

So the outlet union is leaking? I’m willing to bet it’s not the pvc to union weld but rather the o-ring there is not seated properly. I just set up two 40 watts and fired them up, what shot out everywhere on one! The o ring was not properly in place. Un screw the union, replace o ring, and screw back on calmly and hand tight. I’m assuming you bonded the pvc correctly so that should not leak.

Did you preform the leak test to confirm the quartz sleeve was not leaking? If the quartz sleeve was installed properly, water will not touch the bulb so the UV is of course salvageable.

If you did the pvc welding incorrect you will just need to buy another union from pentair.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM trying to assemble my quarts sleeve and Im so nervous that mine is going to Leak just the same. How can I ensure that the sleeve and the o ring is on correctly and tight enough? Isn't there a video somewhere on how to assemble this properly other than the instruction booklet? I put my finger inside the unit like it suggests but Im having a hard time making it align perfectly. #reefsquad

Back