Instant Ocean - actual amount

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water changes, I find it much easier to try to predetermine the amount to use, instead of mixing and adding and measuring. It says a box is 200 gallons, a box has 4 bags, so a bag should be 50 gallons. The problem is that is not enough salt for a reef.

Looking at the instructions, it says "1.5 lbs of Instant Ocean is formulated to create 5 gallons of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.022". I generally don't weigh salt, the bag weighs something, and moisture content varies, especially if the bag is open. But I assume that 1.022 is their target for 200 gallons per box.

Am I correct to then assume that 1 bag is good for 50*.022/.026 or 42.3 gallons? Or can't I do the math that way?

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your math is correct. The easiest way though would be to fill your container with 1 bag and 40 gallons, let it settle then measure with a refractometer or salinity probe until you get exactly 35ppt or 1.026. Then mark your container with something reef safe. So next time you can just add a bag of salt and fill to there.

You can also just eyeball 42 gallons if you have volume marks on the side of your container. You would be within 0.75ppt even if you're off by a whole gallon.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cups are potentially useful, but I believe that 1/2 cup per gallon is not enough salt for 35ppt.

I have only 1 container (with volume marks) for water changes and evaporation and any other RO water. I used to just add salt and mix and measure. Once I made a mistake and added too much, maybe I didn't mix it enough. This gave me no option to fix it except running the RO straight into the tank, and measuring and waiting until it got back where I wanted it - probably very stressful for the inhabitants.

Since then, I started trying to ball-park the amount I add, so I know I am close. Over time, I found that calculating the amount to add and adding it without measuring was easier. No matter how careful I am, I always have to adjust a little anyway. But I haven't been able to get the math down exactly. And being off a little every time is much better than a small risk of adding too much salt once.

I wish they'd use metric. I can live with pounds, but at this point, the general US population is just as familiar with liters as cups.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cups are potentially useful, but I believe that 1/2 cup per gallon is not enough salt for 35ppt.

I have only 1 container (with volume marks) for water changes and evaporation and any other RO water. I used to just add salt and mix and measure. Once I made a mistake and added too much, maybe I didn't mix it enough. This gave me no option to fix it except running the RO straight into the tank, and measuring and waiting until it got back where I wanted it - probably very stressful for the inhabitants.

Since then, I started trying to ball-park the amount I add, so I know I am close. Over time, I found that calculating the amount to add and adding it without measuring was easier. No matter how careful I am, I always have to adjust a little anyway. But I haven't been able to get the math down exactly. And being off a little every time is much better than a small risk of adding too much salt once.

I wish they'd use metric. I can live with pounds, but at this point, the general US population is just as familiar with liters as cups.
Long time ago I figured out how much salt I needed for my mixing bucket (18gallons of water). I marked a container that I fill with salt to the mark and dump it in. I’m usually right on 35ppt Once in a while I need to adjust a little.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know he's asking for the whole bag, but I've found 3 cups per five gallons is pretty much spot on for 1.026 salinity. I typically make up 25 gallons and add 15 cups. Many times it's right on, and occasionally a touch more salt of shot of extra water.... I'm pretty sloppy adding each cup of salt.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 50lb bag of IO does a 44g brute trashcan perfectly. Fill the trash can up just so that water does not spill out when you turn on the mixing pump. If you have not invested in containers, then brutes are easy with IO or RC. They are also cheap and available.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. It's closer to 3 cups per 5 gallons.
I know he's asking for the whole bag, but I've found 3 cups per five gallons is pretty much spot on for 1.026 salinity.
Yep.

This is for IO. Other salts can be slightly different, as crazy as that sounds.

OP
OP
B

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, 3 cups per gallons seems to have worked well. 3/16 is probably easier to remember. 3 cups to 16 cups, 3 liters to 16 liters, 3 gallons to 16 gallons, etc.

BTW - what does everyone do with partial bags of salt? They seem to turn into concrete with humidity, even if I try to reseal them?

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, 3 cups per gallons seems to have worked well. 3/16 is probably easier to remember. 3 cups to 16 cups, 3 liters to 16 liters, 3 gallons to 16 gallons, etc.

BTW - what does everyone do with partial bags of salt? They seem to turn into concrete with humidity, even if I try to reseal them?
I put them in my IO bucket. Generally I refill the bucket when it's low

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 150 gallon bucket and put salt in there. That doesn't turn to concrete. My storage is effectively 20 gallons from full to my empty (5 gallons left), so I just put in 11 scoops of the 2 cup scooper. With the OPs idea to use fill bags, you would never have a remainder though so no leftover at all.

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mix 50/50 reef crystals and IO. and for me to get to 1.026- i use 5.75 cups.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them in my IO bucket. Generally I refill the bucket when it's low
I also do this, you can fit roughly 3 full bags from the 4-bag box of IORC into the IO bucket.
Gives a good chance for me to mix up the salt from the bags before adding to the bucket so that whatever settled out is mixed back up. Read lots of reviews on IO being inconsistent and mixing 1st seems to be the fix.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean has two sets of instructions on the box

For small amounts use 1/2 cup per gallon.

For large amounts use 1.5lbs to create 5 gallons of salt water.

If you weigh it out, you'll find that 1.5lbs and 2.5 cups are not the same. I haven't done it in a while, but the cup method is low by an ounce or two. (and that's to get 1.023 anyways)

If I remember correctly, 1.026 is about 28 ounces (weight) per 5g - or 2.8ish cups.

Back