Instant Ocean mix

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the coral pro black bucket for 3 years. The water clarity is so clear and clean on my 90g reef. I setup 180g fish only and used the Instant Ocean salt. My curiosity is... Why do I see floating grain like substance? The water clarity is clean but not as clear as my 90g. Is it because it’s Instant Ocean? First time I’m using Instant Ocean since I didn’t want to spend too much dough on a fish only setup.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how you mixed it up but sometimes that is part of it. All I use is IO and I don't have any issues. I add salt to heated water and let it mix for a day or so in my 65g mixing station. Crystal clear.

I have a brute can I use for mixing. I use RO water, have a circulating pump to keep water moving, have a thermostat to heat the water. I add salt from the bag, not the bucket, and get my salinity to 1.024/1.025 then it gets pumped into the 180g. I do let it mix for about 4 hours each time. I also have a smaller wavemaker pump in the 180 to keep the water moving as well.

What I don't understand is the grainy-like particles that are floating around. Is this the norm for IO salt?

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes some buckets for IO an RC will do that like playing lotto

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using the coral pro black bucket for 3 years. The water clarity is so clear and clean on my 90g reef. I setup 180g fish only and used the Instant Ocean salt. My curiosity is... Why do I see floating grain like substance? The water clarity is clean but not as clear as my 90g. Is it because it’s Instant Ocean? First time I’m using Instant Ocean since I didn’t want to spend too much dough on a fish only setup.
Unlike you I just switched to Red Sea. And after just a 4 gallon water change I noticed how clear my water was compared to normally with instant ocean

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Lord... here we go with Instant Ocean arguments again
Sasha Banks Reaction GIF by WWE

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple fix. I pump all my fsw through a rodi canister with a 10 micron sediment filter. 0 sediment, particles, whatever.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple fix. I pump all my fsw through a rodi canister with a 10 micron sediment filter. 0 sediment, particles, whatever.
Ahh, something to think about. But honestly, was it necessary? Yes, it's a great idea but we shouldn't have to right?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, something to think about. But honestly, was it necessary? Yes, it's a great idea but we shouldn't have to right?
eh, there are a number of salts that have additives that show up as sediment. So no, we shouldn't have to do it but I like to have my salt/water clean. Over time skimmers would remove it by why even add it.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do let it mix for about 4 hours each time.
For what it's worth I have been using I/O regular and reef crystals for many years and can't remember ever having a clear batch that fast. Usually takes closer to 24 hours. Sometimes it never gets clear. Have not had any ill effects that I know of from it though.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using IO for like 20 years now, mix it up over night, never have any issues with the water clarity.

Could it be from the sand if you recently added it? I would think the filtration would catch most of it sooner than later.
Hmm, that's something ... Yes the sand is new but it's been 3 months now and been filtered through two 100-micron socks. I have cleaned out the socks several times and haven't seen particles yet, but did at the very beginning.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you heat some salts, this can cause precipitation which gives the water a cloudy look.
Heat, IMM, is not necessary with normal water changes, but if you want, mix completely first and heat just before deployment.

Keep in mind your going from RS black bucket (with elevated Alk) to IO which is much lower, so, change slowly.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you heat some salts, this can cause precipitation which gives the water a cloudy look.
Heat, IMM, is not necessary with normal water changes, but if you want, mix completely first and heat just before deployment.

Keep in mind your going from RS black bucket (with elevated Alk) to IO which is much lower, so, change slowly.
When I used a heater first I may end up with a little cloudy water. Now I don't heat the water. 5-10 gallon in a 90 doesn't effect the effect the temp by that much.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I have been using I/O regular and reef crystals for many years and can't remember ever having a clear batch that fast. Usually takes closer to 24 hours. Sometimes it never gets clear. Have not had any ill effects that I know of from it though.
For clarification on the 4 hour mixing time.

The tank is new and had new sand and live rock added. No livestock.
So I'm trying to fill the 180G. I'm mixing the IO in my brute cans and let it mix for 4 hours each time. The brute cans are 44 gal in size. I mixed 40 gal at a time. As it fills up the 180G, I also run 4 wave makers to continue the circulation (Honestly I don't think any livestock will like this rushing amount of water)

I let this circulation run for 1 week and then removed the wavemaker powerheads except for one. Then I clean the sump socks which I find so many clean up crews that I return to the main tank. Had a little bit of sand debris but not much.

It's 3 months now and still seeing the floating particles.

I was thinking of dumping all that water out and start over but...NO!! I just got over the cycling. I currently have 2 clowns in the 180, may have to start water changes and see if I can remove the floating particles that are not getting trapped by the 100 micron filter socks.

I was sent a private message to try wrapping the return lines with filter floss.

OP
OP
Asl4all

Asl4all

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My 90 will always have the RS black bucket...No plan to changes. This forum is regarding my new 180G setup with IO reef salt. I just wanted to try a different salt.

As for heat...I've always had a heater in my mixing brute can with a circulating pump. I have no issues with RS on my 90 except the first time trying IO.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a point of “over mixing” whereas which can cause precipitation, and create a cloud.
Once mixed completely, there’s no need to mix again.
Have you checked MG level, it’s lower than RS by about 100ppm?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back