OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate comes in several forms. Organic and inorganic. (We test for organic) Although they may use some of one or the the other as well as nitrate (I feel the are primarily driven by this and Ammonia), the need silicate to build thier skeletons. Thus, when they appear it’s generally due to silicates.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1538545?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Thanks for the knowledge. Reading some of that stuff makes me feel smart. Then I realize I have no idea what most of it means. So, I just go back to watching cartoons and coloring.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the knowledge. Reading some of that stuff makes me feel smart. Then I realize I have no idea what most of it means. So, I just go back to watching cartoons and coloring.
Pretty much the key to life imo.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think I had a bad bucket of instant ocean. I tried doing a large water change (more than half the volume) with the Instant ocean I had. The diatoms doubled in hours and stayed that way. Almost a week later (yesterday), I switched to Red Sea Pro. I did a large water change and the diatoms are at a quarter or less of what they were. I didn’t change anything else. My hammer also perked up, which is nice.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I think I had a bad bucket of instant ocean. I tried doing a large water change (more than half the volume) with the Instant ocean I had. The diatoms doubled in hours and stayed that way. Almost a week later (yesterday), I switched to Red Sea Pro. I did a large water change and the diatoms are at a quarter or less of what they were. I didn’t change anything else. My hammer also perked up, which is nice.
Interesting

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back