Interceptor in skimmerless tank

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have dozed interceptor to my old 75 which had a skimmer and it helped pull waste out and helped also add oxygen to my system. However now I have a biocube and my tanks always ran skimmerless( I rarely am home to feed the tank multiple times so the tank is quiet clean for being a skimmerless sps tank) . My question is, has anyone doses a skimmerless tank with a decent bio load of sps and just relied on water changes and carbon. I’m not sure if I add an air stone throughout the whole thing if it would affect ph any more.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ran a full SPS but when I ran a mixed reef weekly water changed helped greatly. but I always ran a skimmer so its different

OP
OP
J

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it adds a new variable to it, If the skimmers weren’t an overflowing time bomb I would deff run a skimmer on it but I’m not in front of the tank for days at a time.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on the kind of skimmer you could always have it just drain into a 5 gallon. that way you can run the skimmer 24/7 for weeks or even months with that 5 gallon, only problem is smell since it doesn't have a carbon airfilter

OP
OP
J

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be afraid that the water level would skitz out and force water and not skim ate up through the collection cup, and since it would be In the back chamber the wall of the tanks too close for comfort.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done interceptor multiple times at quadruple doses and do not change water or run carbon after, for at least a few days. 0.0 problems or collateral damage. Just run a filter sock as bristle worms tend to get nuked.

OP
OP
J

john90009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah when you out the skimmer back online your helping to remove the constant although small die off that occurs, and also oxygenating the water. Simple stuff but in my tank I don’t have a skimmer to turn on 6 hours later or whatever and it’s only a 29 gallon tank

Back