Interested in a diy led build

badlands25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I am intrigued in building an led fixture BUT....I have no idea where to start. I have done some reading on the subject but have lots of questions. I have never even held a soldering iron so that gives you an idea of my tech ability ;) I have a 75 gal tank so to start how big of a heat sinc would i use and how many led's would i use. I have seen the 36 led kits and larger. I would like to have it be 1 unit but i do have a crossbar at the top of tank. I would also like to make it dimmable. I use a rkl so I guess that would control it? Hopefully someone could point me in the correct direction. Thanks

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out reef led lights website. They have a lot of info on there and are great about answering questions. They can set you up with exactly what you need.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to solder you can use the BJB solderless connectors instead. I plan to use those the next build I do..if I ever do another (already did a 108 LED build for my 220)

OP
OP
B

badlands25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I`'m not afraid to solder, I just haven't done it (yet) Basically I would do It but I am looking for step by step idiot proof instructions. With the correct components to purchase. i.e. cree led's cool white, neutral white, royal blue, true blue. Dimmable controllers etc..

starfiretank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally still use m.h.'s, but a local club member used a d.i.y. led kit from aquastyleonline.com. He said he likes it alot but when he ordered his they didnt have dimmable controllers, but now they do he said if anyone orders one make sure you use the kits with the dimmable controller that they now offer. Don't know if anyone on here has used them?

99taws6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out a few of the main led retro makers. I'll pm you the one that I used.

As far as soldering goes you can skip it altogether by allowing them to do it or, you can learn how to solder and know how to fix I when it breaks. Practice material for soldering is extremely cheap.

PM sent

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back