Interesting filter feeder?

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a nice Blow Pop Zoa that was on a chunk of live rock.

Hidden underneath was a single Aptisia (super gule didn't work but a hammer and chisel did) and a bunch of green bubble algae both removed to best of ability.

This guy I noticed this morning. Some sort of worm I assume. It's exterior seems to have collected sand from the sand bed. Frag is sitting on the sand bed and this critter is 1/2"-1" above.

Thoughts on what type of ... it is and if good or bad? I don't recall every seeing anything do this when reefing 23 years ago. Just getting back in and it's been a long time so the obvious may not be as obvious to me anymore

IMG_4947.JPG

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a nice Blow Pop Zoa that was on a chunk of live rock.

Hidden underneath was a single Aptisia (super gule didn't work but a hammer and chisel did) and a bunch of green bubble algae both removed to best of ability.

This guy I noticed this morning. Some sort of worm I assume. It's exterior seems to have collected sand from the sand bed. Frag is sitting on the sand bed and this critter is 1/2"-1" above.

Thoughts on what type of ... it is and good or bad? I don't recall every seeing anything do this when reefing 23 years ago. Just getting back in and it's been a long time so the obvious may not be as obvious to me anymore

IMG_4947.JPG
Show me It when it's out, from the tube I can say either a spaghetti worm, tube-constructing amphipod, hair worm or featherduster. All of which are harmless/beneficial

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not caught out yet. I imagine I’ll see it tonight.

I cleaned the rock pretty well when introducing so this is 5 days growth. Agreed my first thought is good guy. It being covered with sand already I thought was odd

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not caught out yet. I imagine I’ll see it tonight.

I cleaned the rock pretty well when introducing so this is 5 days growth. Agreed my first thought is good guy. It being covered with sand already I thought was odd
I got about 5 different sand tube constructing species in my tank. If they put out long, white/transparent arms than it's a spaghetti worm. If it puts out small, thin brown/red arms its a hair worm. If it puts out a feathery head than it's a featherduster. And If you don't see anything except small prongs than it's a amphipod or some other worm that @ISpeakForTheSeas can ID

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me It when it's out, from the tube I can say either a spaghetti worm, tube-constructing amphipod, hair worm or featherduster. All of which are harmless/beneficial
It's s none of the above.
It's a Phyllochaetopterus.

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ID. Sure looks like that. I’ve yet to see its tentacles yet but being clear and where in the tank not all that easy to see. Sounds like it’s ok but can easily get out of control?

Thanks again
I have a bunch in my tank and they don't bother anything. If I see a tube on the sand bed, I usually remove it due to aesthetics but otherwise I let them be. They're actually great for cleaning up food the fish don't eat :)

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught in action today at dinner time. Sorry for the poor picture, I still need to get a filter. Looks like it has a long single transparent tentacle/tounge/whatever you call it. Definitely can see how it builds the sand covered tube as the tentacle brings back and.

IMG_4949.jpeg

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a filter is on my list. Figured if I adjusted the lights (Red Sea) they turn off and on he’d be gone. The worms casing is in the middle of the pic 1/3rd of the way from the bottom. The tounge appears clear/ translucent and several times longer than the tube itself. Camera filter is coming up soon as iPhones really take bad reef pictures. Sorry about that

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught in action today at dinner time. Sorry for the poor picture, I still need to get a filter. Looks like it has a long single transparent tentacle/tounge/whatever you call it. Definitely can see how it builds the sand covered tube as the tentacle brings back and.

IMG_4949.jpeg
Look like this?
20231120_210624.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back