2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going with this

It's a Phyllochaetopterus.
Looks like a spaghetti worm to me still

@vellingapa how long are the arms roughly?

Again, I do trust your ID'S though Phyllochaetopterus (as I can tell from the photos) seem to have a more calcified/smooth tube while I've seen spaghetti worms rapidly construct tubes out of sand like OP has

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Again, I do trust your ID'S though Phyllochaetopterus (as I can tell from the photos) seem to have a more calcified/smooth tube while I've seen spaghetti worms rapidly construct tubes out of sand like OP has
Best guess 1.5 to 2.0 inches

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spaghetti worms have multiple tentacles, not just 1 or 2, and are relatively uncommon in the hobby. Phyllochaetopterus do not always have calcified tubes. The best way to be certain is to remove one and look at the worm itself. Phyllochaetopterus worms are ooky yellow and black things (and yes, "ooky" is the technical term, lol! They're all blobby and just seem gross to me)

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock this Zoa colony came on has been full of surprises. First unwanted, Aptasia and bubble algae. Then this Phyllochaetopterus. Two other critters remain unidentified, one I just discovered this morning before the Zoa's open up for the day. Seems the LFS was correct in calling this BlowPop Zoa colony wild :)

Pic below with blue highlight. Growing out of the rock, looks like fish poop / fabric like but its attached tube structure and waving around seemingly filtering. There appear to be several of these fabric tubes growing on the rock. Any idea what they are?

IMG_5195.JPG

The other critter (I think is a critter but maybe not), I still struggle with to get a great pic, likely to have to pull rock out and inspect closer in person again which I'm going to do soon to remove some more pesky bubble algae that continues to pop up on the rock. A few stick like structures almost like brittle start legs with joints. When I first discovered this I originally thought was another Aptasia but closer inspection say no the appendages seem rigid and as said like having a joint. Unlike the other critters though, I've not seen this move nor grow but more often than not its largely covered by the Zoas with just part of the appendages poking out and you only see more when lights out and the Zoas are retracted.... and even then you don't see much of it.

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5196.JPG

OP
OP
F

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: Second one. I moved the Zoa rock this morning as our Ritteri is on the move and decided it wants that space today.

In the new location, I'm able to see the second critter much better. It appears to be some form of tube anemone I think. New tank is starting to come alive with both good critters and not so good.

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

Thanks for humoring me with the critter ID questions. I'm sure we had LOTs more in the old 180g back in the 80s as it was all Fiji live rock (darn Mantis shrimp killed many of our fish before we took care of it). But its nice to see new critters and relearn as long as most are not too much of pests.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RE: Second one. I moved the Zoa rock this morning as our Ritteri is on the move and decided it wants that space today.

In the new location, I'm able to see the second critter much better. It appears to be some form of tube anemone I think. New tank is starting to come alive with both good critters and not so good.

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5203.JPG

Thanks for humoring me with the critter ID questions. I'm sure we had LOTs more in the old 180g back in the 80s as it was all Fiji live rock (darn Mantis shrimp killed many of our fish before we took care of it). But its nice to see new critters and relearn as long as most are not too much of pests.
Still a bit blurry for me, but looks like it may be a "Ball Anemone." If so, they're generally harmless:
That's a Corallimorph (taxonomic family Corallimorphidae)/Ball Anemone - despite the name, they're actually related to (and could be considered to be a kind of) soft mushroom corals.

They're generally harmless, though some species can spread enough to cause issues.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back