Interesting 'New' LED Light

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep all blues at 100% during the day. With whites and lime at 25%, I see 250-370par at the tops of the rocks. This is about 17-18in below the lights.

I’m currently looking into hitting 400par via combo of light height, upping whites, and adding more rocks to get corals closer.

Make sure you check with manufacturer's PAR meter spectral response chart. Some have a big cut off below 450nm. For example, the original Apogee PAR meter only measure 75% of the PAR at 450nm and drops off to 35% for 400nm.
quantum-spectral-response.gif

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the original sensor. What would be a good correction approximation for the wattages and wavelengths that this light uses?

Best method is to measure each channel individually and divide by the response chart. For example, measure 400nm PAR then divide by 35%. Then add up the corrected PAR for all the channels.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best method is to measure each channel individually and divide by the response chart. For example, measure 400nm PAR then divide by 35%. Then add up the corrected PAR for all the channels.

Just did an experiment. Looks like my 350 par is actually 465 par! No wonder my Montiporas have sucked themselves outside in.

Going to be dialing things back now. Those UVish leds pack a punch.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Black boxes have good capability. Had great success with Mars and SB REEF HOWEVER their power supplies are not long lived and very limited warranty.
Kessil still proven for me although I now run aqua illumination on my smaller tanks and Orpheks on my big tank

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I missed it...will one cover a 48" 75g?

Thanks

Depends what you are keeping. If mostly softies and LPS then you can get away with just 1 unit if you hang/mount it high enough. However, for the height to spread 48", you will have a lot of spillage front and back since it's not a cube tank. Best to get 2 units.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes have good capability. Had great success with Mars and SB REEF HOWEVER their power supplies are not long lived and very limited warranty.
Kessil still proven for me although I now run aqua illumination on my smaller tanks and Orpheks on my big tank

Black boxes have really poor cooling so won't last long. Also black boxes use LED diodes that are made without paying LED fees to LED patent holders, so they are all overseas company. Their LEDs are inferior to brand name LEDs like Cree and LUMILED.

ReeFi Duo Extreme offer better color blend and no disco effect with ReeFlectors TM and best value for 72 LED diodes. Plus with longest warranty of 3 years.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold my hydras, so it’s official; I’m sticking with the Reefi light!

Better colors, PE, plenty of par to grow into, and a 3 year warranty made it an easy choice for me.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is considering these lights please reach out to Daniel @danlu_gt . His customer service is top notch and he goes above and beyond to answer any questions. My first impression of these lights are the build quality is amazing and I can’t wait to hang them.

+1
Daniel goes above and beyond any other reef equipment company I have dealt with yet. And I have yet to meet an unhappy ReeFi customer.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
Daniel goes above and beyond any other reef equipment company I have dealt with yet. And I have yet to meet an unhappy ReeFi customer.
+2
Super happy Reefi customer here. Color, PE and growth have all improved over the hybrid T5 and Radion G4 pros I was running before these. Add to this the lack of side glare, and these are by far the best lights I've ever run. Daniel's customer service is indeed awesome as well.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold my hydras, so it’s official; I’m sticking with the Reefi light!

Better colors, PE, plenty of par to grow into, and a 3 year warranty made it an easy choice for me.
If anyone is considering these lights please reach out to Daniel @danlu_gt . His customer service is top notch and he goes above and beyond to answer any questions. My first impression of these lights are the build quality is amazing and I can’t wait to hang them.
+1
+2
Super happy Reefi customer here. Color, PE and growth have all improved over the hybrid T5 and Radion G4 pros I was running before these. Add to this the lack of side glare, and these are by far the best lights I've ever run. Daniel's customer service is indeed awesome as well.

Thank you for the kind words. With so much work put into designing and manufacturing ReeFi Duo Extreme, I am so happy others are enjoying them as much as I do!

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words. With so much work put into designing and manufacturing ReeFi Duo Extreme, I am so happy others are enjoying them as much as I do!

Keep improving and innovating while maintaining solid Customer Support and you’ll do great!

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, I sat down today to place my order for a pair of G4 pro lights and ran across this thread. Now I dont know what to do lol. My biggest issue is my crrent location does not have a lot of saltwater stores. The one good LFS runs Radion's and I fell in love with the look. It seems from Dana's research that the reefi's provide good spectrum for growth. But the hardest part to tell from pictures is the cosmetic pop you get from radions. Some of my concerns

- Do these provide that beautiful pop you get in fish and corals with a radion? Or are they more geared towards growth only?

- I see they have a 3 year warranty which is amazing but I have been in enthusiast forums of all types for 20 years and you will occasional see the superior product that is amazing but goes out of business and you loose support. Ecotech is probably not going anywhere soon.

- The last thing is radions are backed by years of use and research with proven results. These are fairly new.

I am getting ready to spend the most I have ever spent on my reef in 5 years upgrading my blackboxes so I am hesitant but these really look to be truly amazing lights. I love the reflectors, simplicity of the app, and I am bit biased because I am a military displaced Oregonian that grew up in the PNW :)

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, I sat down today to place my order for a pair of G4 pro lights and ran across this thread. Now I dont know what to do lol. My biggest issue is my crrent location does not have a lot of saltwater stores. The one good LFS runs Radion's and I fell in love with the look. It seems from Dana's research that the reefi's provide good spectrum for growth. But the hardest part to tell from pictures is the cosmetic pop you get from radions. Some of my concerns

- Do these provide that beautiful pop you get in fish and corals with a radion? Or are they more geared towards growth only?

- I see they have a 3 year warranty which is amazing but I have been in enthusiast forums of all types for 20 years and you will occasional see the superior product that is amazing but goes out of business and you loose support. Ecotech is probably not going anywhere soon.

- The last thing is radions are backed by years of use and research with proven results. These are fairly new.

I am getting ready to spend the most I have ever spent on my reef in 5 years upgrading my blackboxes so I am hesitant but these really look to be truly amazing lights. I love the reflectors, simplicity of the app, and I am bit biased because I am a military displaced Oregonian that grew up in the PNW :)

Well, if you are really particular about how your corals look, that is even more reason to consider these lights.
They have 9 individually adjustable channels, so you can customize your spectrum exactly the way you want it.
I can say that they really make my coral colors pop. See my pictures earlier in this thread.

You can see a recent video of the Reefi lights over a tank here:

This user recently replaced his Radions with Reefis, and talks about the advantages of the Reefis over the Radions at around minute 13 of the video.

I’ve had mine since April and my corals are growing very well under them.

Finally, the support that I have gotten from ReeFi is top notch. You can do a quick search of threads here to see how Ecotech compares, support-wise. Daniel and ReeFi have been around for nearly 4 yrs already and his lights are really starting to increase in popularity. I will be shocked if he isn't still making these lights 5 years from now.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%

Back