Interesting 'New' LED Light

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not found any website where I could buy a Kyocera.
But I found this led seems to be very interesting, no?

Biologic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not found any website where I could buy a Kyocera.
But I found this led seems to be very interesting, no?

I've seen these lights around and Reef Builders talked about the smaller PAR38(?) lights before from the same company. I cannot for the life of me understand why they did not blow up here in the United States. Those corals have color underneath guys. That owner of that tank is really showing off lol. Well deserved!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen these lights around and Reef Builders talked about the smaller PAR38(?) lights before from the same company. I cannot for the life of me understand why they did not blow up here in the United States. Those corals have color underneath guys. That owner of that tank is really showing off lol. Well deserved!
Par 38 was just uv wasn't it?
More details .

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par 38 was just uv wasn't it?
More details .
I was putzing around with my "Custom Orphek".
Decided to quantify the channels with more than one color..
Basically RGB.. ;)
Solid color channels are self explanatory.
12% sunplus is a rb pump w/ red phosphors. Used PCAmber. Some nm shifted no more than 5nm's
Results cross checked w/ Luxtools and SPECTRA (RAYCAL now)
3 were halved (wasn't interested in power) for ease of calculations.
1 was full (pc amber, deep red, IR channel)
orphek2356.JPG

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea.. that density and drive current is a bit problematic..
My 15W on pin heatsinks all @700mA is about max for me..
heats5sm.jpg
heats2.JPG

So far over a year and 1/2.. but did lose a cyan. Haven't found out why..
Cyan, PCAmber, Lime, Royal blue, and 3 deep red.
Freshwater of course but can push it to say 12000k.. Well pure rb as well but only like 2 watts each.. ;)

My 3 pucks probably could light a 5gal nano reef..

IMGP9769.JPG

Reflowed the boards using a hot air fryer.. was an experience for sure..

Looks nice. New experience is always fun - we learn that way.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some old diy threads. Lost " history".

I really want to get people to try his 'Evil-cluster' with bigger builds, but it seems lately there's more interest in buying really cheap LEDs and lights and then people declaring how LED's suck because the color isn't good. They then ride off on their straw horse back to halides. Rant / off.

Last edited:

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're currently building a 96x48in frag tank that will have 15 inches of water depth. The frag racks will be sitting at around a 9 inch depth. I don't need a ton of par, somewhere over 200 in the center line of the tank, and can be lower towards the edge to allow for a variety of corals to grow.

I was thinking 3 or 4 of the extreme versions raised up to 24 inches above the water run at high power should cover what I need.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Dave

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We're currently building a 96x48in frag tank that will have 15 inches of water depth. The frag racks will be sitting at around a 9 inch depth. I don't need a ton of par, somewhere over 200 in the center line of the tank, and can be lower towards the edge to allow for a variety of corals to grow.

I was thinking 3 or 4 of the extreme versions raised up to 24 inches above the water run at high power should cover what I need.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Dave
four best for coverage

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More is always better for coverage, for sure.

To dive into it more:
From 24" hanging height to 9" deep frag rack, that's 33". From Reefi's website, for the Duo Extreme...
1696625465324.png

The middle and bottom lines would be at 27" and 39". Splitting those two would be right at your 33" mark, and the slope to me looks pretty linear. 104 v 52, 166 v 87, 200 v 97, 298 v 177. So, the "all channels" column for that would be over 200 PAR, unless I'm missing something.

Spread would be the other consideration. "
  • ReeFi® LED Duo Extreme at 15″ above the water surface, at 12″ below the water surface there is about 30″ spread and at 24″ below the water surface there is about 48″ spread."
I think the Duos can do it, according to their website. I don't know. I might start with 3.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More is always better for coverage, for sure.

To dive into it more:
From 24" hanging height to 9" deep frag rack, that's 33". From Reefi's website, for the Duo Extreme...
1696625465324.png

The middle and bottom lines would be at 27" and 39". Splitting those two would be right at your 33" mark, and the slope to me looks pretty linear. 104 v 52, 166 v 87, 200 v 97, 298 v 177. So, the "all channels" column for that would be over 200 PAR, unless I'm missing something.

Spread would be the other consideration. "
  • ReeFi® LED Duo Extreme at 15″ above the water surface, at 12″ below the water surface there is about 30″ spread and at 24″ below the water surface there is about 48″ spread."
I think the Duos can do it, according to their website. I don't know. I might start with 3.

Wow, thanks for the response and the great info! I'm going to order two and see what they cover. I'll order another one or three if needed lol after seeing what I get. I have two AP700s on my display tank. I can use them to temporarily to test the spread I get from them while still having full coverage. We have a really slow small leak issue with my display tank, so I have to take it down to find the issue. It's a small leak, so I'm hoping it just needs to be resealed. Thankfully, it's in a tank dedicated room with just the front pane of glass viewable in the house, so the leak is less urgent.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I'm interested in the lights too. I didn't see what degree "reeflector" is in the Duos. The Unos come with the 90 degree installed and a 120 degree in the box if you want to swap them. If you figure that out, we can figure out spread/height/angle as they are related.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back