INTERESTING QUESTION! *Can I use live sand from the Ocean?*

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I live in FL and have access to get real live sand while scuba diving in the ocean. Would y'all recommend this as I know they sell live sand in the stores. Just seeing if this is any different than that and plus it being from the ocean near a reef which is thriving?

Thanks!

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how clean the source is. As in I wouldn't take it from the beach. Also Florida sand is high in silica. Also it tends to be yellowish. Honestly it doesn't look that good. A cup or two can help with biodiversity but you don't need to use only Florida sand.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how clean the source is. As in I wouldn't take it from the beach. Also Florida sand is high in silica. Also it tends to be yellowish. Honestly it doesn't look that good. A cup or two can help with biodiversity but you don't need to use only Florida sand.
You do have a point the sand is slightly yellow. A cup or 2 may be a good idea and then mix it with store bought sand. Should I be worried about any pests in the sand?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWC officers have a way of surprising people by what they care about.. that said, I know "a guy" ;-) who got a water bottle of sand from the keys a couple years ago w/no issues. Guess it all depends on if they decide to board your boat and check you out...

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWC officers have a way of surprising people by what they care about.. that said, I know "a guy" ;-) who got a water bottle of sand from the keys a couple years ago w/no issues. Guess it all depends on if they decide to board your boat and check you out...
HAHA did said guy use that sand in his tank or just a souvenir?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After browsing the FWC site I didn't see any mention of sand but live rock is a no-go.

Depending on where you're getting the sand from I would more concerned with waste (natural and human) than anything else.

Maybe strain it with some sea water before bringing it home?

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After browsing the FWC site I didn't see any mention of sand but live rock is a no-go.

Depending on where you're getting the sand from I would more concerned with waste (natural and human) than anything else.

My plan was to get sand at a depth of around 60ft so waste and other pollutants would be far less. thoughts?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ziplock baggie of sand In your bc for added weight,

I would use it. Can’t be anything worse in it than cultured LR.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA did said guy use that sand in his tank or just a souvenir?
He put half in display and rest in refugium.. he may have noticed some small snails appearing several months later. And a piece of seaweed growing, in refugium, until the return pump sucked it up and sent it to the display- where his stupid tangs devoured it. He still hopes to see it pop up again...

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe certain areas are restricted from any and all collection, such as the actual reef where one might want some sand from.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe certain areas are restricted from any and all collection, such as the actual reef where one might want some sand from.
Im trying to get it near the reef so maybe a piece of coral will fall into the bucket I'm collecting it in... Jokes!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan was to get sand at a depth of around 60ft so waste and other pollutants would be far less. thoughts?
Depending on where your diving I would think you'd be fine.

I dive too so if you find yourself near in the North Central FL area let me know.

100% correct. Location even changes quantity of some collection of some species and whether or not you are allowed to collect and substrate with creatures like sponges.

So definitely be aware that you are not in any non-collection zones (like Blue Heron Bridge is now) as while they are aimed at creatures lifeguards and FWC officers are extra watchful in those areas.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to get it near the reef so maybe a piece of coral will fall into the bucket I'm collecting it in... Jokes!
If you want softies (ie Zoas or ribbon gorgonians) you can get coral just stay within the limits. You can also collect most anemones too. We go to the Keys once a year for a trip as a family and do some near shore collection and I will sneak in a dive or two as well.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where your diving I would think you'd be fine.

I dive too so if you find yourself near in the North Central FL area let me know.

100% correct. Location even changes quantity of some collection of some species and whether or not you are allowed to collect and substrate with creatures like sponges.

So definitely be aware that you are not in any non-collection zones (like Blue Heron Bridge is now) as while they are aimed at creatures lifeguards and FWC officers are extra watchful in those areas.
I mainly dive in the keys! FWC can always find a way to give you tickets so I'm going to ask them before hand.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back