Interesting variation in SPS growth

  • Thread starter Thread starter mcarroll
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
15,695
Reaction score
9,305
Location
Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1385938006.521534.jpg


These are some Montipora cap. frags I pulled out of the main tank and have currently piled upside down for the photo.

Notice the one on the right. It has full polyp growth on the bottom of the plate.

You can see the rest of the frags have smooth, polyp-free bottoms.

I think this is called something like bi-facial growth vs uni-facial.

This plate was growing directly out into the return flow, so I guess it had such a consistent nutrient supply that it could sustain an army of polyps that weren't doing any light-gathering - just food gathering. Cool!

:-)

-Matt
 
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1385938606.068287.jpg


...a better close-up!
 
That is crazy. Your TLC is probably the key factor in the growth. I have been following you other thread.
 
If there is sufficient reflected light from sandbed you'll also get good polyp growth on bottom of plating Montipora or tabling SPS colonies.

Cheers, Todd
 
That's cool. Ever leave a couple frags upside down and see what they do?

Actually, in the second photo, the plate on the left was actually sitting upside down for a while before getting moved here and you can see the growth "curl" where the polyps are moving "to the bright side". I can't say how this turns out though. :)

I can say that planting a cap. frag 90º off of horizontal makes for a dramatic, multistoried grow out as plates will form all along the old frag's growth edge. Very cool.

If there is sufficient reflected light from sandbed you'll also get good polyp growth on bottom of plating Montipora or tabling SPS colonies.

With respect to lighting and the plate in my photo, this was growing beneath an overflow box and behind a powerhead, so even the top of the coral was pretty shaded. There would have been almost zero light on the bottom of this plate.

That is crazy. Your TLC is probably the key factor in the growth. I have been following you other thread.

It does look like it has a fairly white growth edge, so you might be on to something! :) I do stir up crud from the sump every day with my water changes, and I know a lot of that goes up the return to feed the corals and that they appreciate consistency like that. I suppose this is just evidence that it really works like that! :)

-Matt
 
Last edited:
i read a propigation thread awhile back that said if you mount cap frags on their end whey will grow faster into a new table. Was not convinced so gave it a shot. Not sure if ti grows faster but its interesting:

crappy cell photo:

 
Interesting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new