Internal Equipment Setup for Fiji Cube AIO Box- 40 Breeder

BryFerr+4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently upgraded my 20Long reef tank setup that had a HOB refugium and HOB skimmer up to a 40 Breeder decided to try out one of the Fiji Cube AIO as my stand didn't have a spot to make the 20L into a sump/fuge below the display tank.

I silicone sealed the AIO centered on the back of the tank... didn't want to run the peninsula setup and so far it is very stable and actually working out pretty great. My wife loves the improved aesthetics with only my two AI Prime 16 lights attached on back above tank level.

I got all my livestock and coral transferred over with only one casualty of war... I accidentally squished my pistol shrimp as I was transferring some live rock over... RIP little buddy. Everything is looking good on the new tank and between the live rock and the little bit of substrate I brought over (only a couple of scoops), I should be good on bacteria and my corals (LPS and Softies) are all doing well so far. Been testing the water every day as well and so far so good.

So here is my dilemma... I was using an old Bubble Magus QQ1 HOB skimmer on the 20L and while it looked like crap, I had it dialed in and actually worked out well for me. With that and the HOB refugium I was using for my chaeto, it just won't work with the new tank aesthetics. I would like to try to get everything in to the AIO box so does this setup sound like it would work?

In chamber one (intake), I will buy one of the inTank media baskets which has three vertical chambers. On top I run a square of filter floss, the middle I run either ChemiPure or Phosguard and then on the bottom one I stick my chaeto. I will stick a small light on the outside back of the tank to shine in on the chaeto.

Chamber two will be a new Tunze 9004 skimmer that I will order along with three bricks of ceramic bio-filter media (which are already in there). That skimmer should easily fit in the chamber but I am hesitant to put chaeto in there with it.

Chamber three already houses my DC return pump and heater. Since I have a DC return pump, I can slow the flow through the AIO just a little bit if needed to not wipe out the chaeto but it would still be faster than a normal refugium flow I believe. Trying to do around 360 gph or so.

Does this sound feasible. I am not sure how the chaeto would do in chamber one but I would be able to pull it out to trim it pretty easily.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently upgraded my 20Long reef tank setup that had a HOB refugium and HOB skimmer up to a 40 Breeder decided to try out one of the Fiji Cube AIO as my stand didn't have a spot to make the 20L into a sump/fuge below the display tank.

I silicone sealed the AIO centered on the back of the tank... didn't want to run the peninsula setup and so far it is very stable and actually working out pretty great. My wife loves the improved aesthetics with only my two AI Prime 16 lights attached on back above tank level.

I got all my livestock and coral transferred over with only one casualty of war... I accidentally squished my pistol shrimp as I was transferring some live rock over... RIP little buddy. Everything is looking good on the new tank and between the live rock and the little bit of substrate I brought over (only a couple of scoops), I should be good on bacteria and my corals (LPS and Softies) are all doing well so far. Been testing the water every day as well and so far so good.

So here is my dilemma... I was using an old Bubble Magus QQ1 HOB skimmer on the 20L and while it looked like crap, I had it dialed in and actually worked out well for me. With that and the HOB refugium I was using for my chaeto, it just won't work with the new tank aesthetics. I would like to try to get everything in to the AIO box so does this setup sound like it would work?

In chamber one (intake), I will buy one of the inTank media baskets which has three vertical chambers. On top I run a square of filter floss, the middle I run either ChemiPure or Phosguard and then on the bottom one I stick my chaeto. I will stick a small light on the outside back of the tank to shine in on the chaeto.

Chamber two will be a new Tunze 9004 skimmer that I will order along with three bricks of ceramic bio-filter media (which are already in there). That skimmer should easily fit in the chamber but I am hesitant to put chaeto in there with it.

Chamber three already houses my DC return pump and heater. Since I have a DC return pump, I can slow the flow through the AIO just a little bit if needed to not wipe out the chaeto but it would still be faster than a normal refugium flow I believe. Trying to do around 360 gph or so.

Does this sound feasible. I am not sure how the chaeto would do in chamber one but I would be able to pull it out to trim it pretty easily.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
I had a Tunze 9004 on a 40g for years, so that should be fine. That said, they are a little picky about height, so it may have to stick out the top of the tank, or be so deep that you can't run the media underneath it.

How much cubic space will the chaeto have? One section of a media basket doesn't sound like enough space to grow chaeto.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back