Internal Issues

Lurch72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish 1more question. I was planning on buying a hermit and a few snails to eat the leftover food from feedings today. Is it safe to add them while I’m medicating or should I wait till my medication regimen is completed?

I used General cure, following this guide. My hermits and cleaner shrimp ate it with no negative effects.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used General cure, following this guide. My hermits and cleaner shrimp ate it with no negative effects.

^^ This

So long as you bind it properly (using Focus, unflavored gelatin or agar), it should be safe.

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This

So long as you bind it properly (using Focus, unflavored gelatin or agar), it should be safe.
So I used the soaking method for 14 days and it looked like they were good. 3 days ago I started feeding normal food again and today one of the fish had stringy white poop again. I now have a fire shrimp. If I dose the water will the fire shrimp be ok?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used the soaking method for 14 days and it looked like they were good. 3 days ago I started feeding normal food again and today one of the fish had stringy white poop again. I now have a fire shrimp. If I dose the water will the fire shrimp be ok?

Give it a week before assuming the fish still has internal parasites/worms. Sometimes going back to regular food causes intestinal irritation due to change in diet.

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a week before assuming the fish still has internal parasites/worms. Sometimes going back to regular food causes intestinal irritation due to change in diet.
Oh ok. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a week or so. If it does end up still being a problem is it safe to treat with the blood shrimp in there?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a week or so. If it does end up still being a problem is it safe to treat with the blood shrimp in there?

You can dose Prazipro with corals/inverts, but not General Cure (which contains praziquantel + metronidazole.) Its the metro I wouldn't use in the presence of corals/inverts.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blue font is making me blind. :D

Great write up. 1-3 are the most common.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation, i thought anyway. I have been using my daughters small clown tank to quarantine inverts (snail). The added bonus is I raised the clowns and they have never come into contact with any other fish or disease/parasites. I use them similar to how people use black mollies as "canary fish". I just noticed both clowns have the tell tale stringy white poop. Is it possible for the snails to carry the intestinal parasite/pathogen? Snails also come from a supposed fish free system as well.

I will probably teat them with GC soaked food once the snails arent in the tank. This has me scratching my head for sure.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fLajNuT What ever happened with this? I fed food soaked GC for 14 days prophylactically in QT and after stopping and going to regular food one of my Anthias has white stringy poop. Did it end up going away for your fish?

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fLajNuT What ever happened with this? I fed food soaked GC for 14 days prophylactically in QT and after stopping and going to regular food one of my Anthias has white stringy poop. Did it end up going away for your fish?
no it did not work. The fish occasionally have the white stings still. I actually just bought some Thomas labs fish bendazole and am planning to start treatment with food soaking this weekend. I’ll update once treatment is done and observation after is complete in a month or 2.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it did not work. The fish occasionally have the white stings still. I actually just bought some Thomas labs fish bendazole and am planning to start treatment with food soaking this weekend. I’ll update once treatment is done and observation after is complete in a month or 2.
Ok, I will be curious to know how they do. I put my Anthias back on the food soaked GC food a few days ago and now i dont notice the stringy white poop. I am starting think its a symptom of intestinal parasites but not always a sure sign. HF does did mention that is could happen from changing foods or going from food soaked to non-medicated. When i first put the Anthias in QT i observed for a few days with regular food and didnt notice any symptoms of intestinal parasites.

fLajNuT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will be curious to know how they do. I put my Anthias back on the food soaked GC food a few days ago and now i dont notice the stringy white poop. I am starting think its a symptom of intestinal parasites but not always a sure sign. HF does did mention that is could happen from changing foods or going from food soaked to non-medicated. When i first put the Anthias in QT i observed for a few days with regular food and didnt notice any symptoms of intestinal parasites.
So I’ve been treating for 12 days and have not seen any stringy poo from the clownfish. I came home today and my dartfish has a perfectly circle hole near his stomach behind his pectoral fin. And was lying on the rocks dead with my cleaner shrimp hovering over him. I’m not sure what happened. Not sure if the medicine made him constipated and he burst from the inside or what but not sure. I’m worried my clowns might have an issue now as one seems to be pretty lethargic right now. I’m wondering if I should stop medicine and skip a meal? @Humblefish any suggestions? Wish I could post a video of the clowns.

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to treat with metroplex and prazipro using focus to bind it to frozen mysis. How much prazi should I use (per the recipe in the OP)?

Or should I pick up some General Cure?

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Hikari Prazipro went in the water per bottles directions. Repay at day 5.

Seachem Metro & Focus bind to food for internal parasites.

Humblefish is the expert.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food + General Cure + Focus + a bit of RO mixed to your desired consistency works pretty good for treating internal parasites. Can add a pinch of plain USP epsom salts to the mix to help "move along" the dead worms. Feed once a day for 10-14 days.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back