Internal or External Overflow Box?

rmh2472

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better internal or external overflow Box? What are some of the advantages?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best of both.............. Ghost overflow.

http://reefsavvy.com/the-reef-savvy-difference/

Reef-Savvy-Ghost-Overflow-Removable-Teeth.jpg

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an external that wasnt plumbed in like the pix above and it was a pain as I lost the siphon when cleaning. The reef savvy has tge advantage of not having a "box" in the middle of your display

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an external that wasnt plumbed in like the pix above and it was a pain as I lost the siphon when cleaning. The reef savvy has tge advantage of not having a "box" in the middle of your display

Maybe you had a over the top overflow, they lose almost every time the siphon.
The ghost overflows will always start it back up when restart the system after a cleaning.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the extra cash and get your tank drilled with corner or ghost overflow. Just don't mess with over the top crap, at the end of the day it will fail and flood your house.

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was to start again today I would do a ghost overflow. Just my opinion. I'd like to have that overflow area back for other options.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand your question. All overflow boxes that I am aware of have the internal surface skimmer box. For those that do not, don't use them, the surface skimming properties are very much needed. Some have the external box, some don't. It is better to not use the external boxes since almost all of the systems that come with both do not account for the proper tank water level and you end up with a low level in the DT. Drilling and using an internal only box allows you to set the water level where you want. You then attach plumbing directly to the bulkhead on the outside of the tank.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was to start again today I would do a ghost overflow. Just my opinion. I'd like to have that overflow area back for other options.
What other option you talking about?overrlow box on the back of the tank Is where your pipes go. You don't have any room there for anything

OP
OP
rmh2472

rmh2472

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your comments. I think I might go with a corner overflow. Does anyone have any preference on the plumbing style? For example: bean-animal, etc.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say from order of best to worst would be: Ghost overflow, in tank (full length top to bottom), then at the bottom is the hang on back style with the dreaded U-tube

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the choice I would go with ghost... It is low profile, corner take is lots more room. I think you should do some research on YouTube on what you looking for... Not trying to be mean, but usually you don't see bean-animal on corner units. If you want to do a corner overflow I would do 2 holes, one for main drain, one for backup and either hang over glass return or drill hole for return. Look at the deep blue professional tanks and also Red Sea reefer 250 tank.

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I understand your question. All overflow boxes that I am aware of have the internal surface skimmer box. For those that do not, don't use them, the surface skimming properties are very much needed. Some have the external box, some don't. It is better to not use the external boxes since almost all of the systems that come with both do not account for the proper tank water level and you end up with a low level in the DT. Drilling and using an internal only box allows you to set the water level where you want. You then attach plumbing directly to the bulkhead on the outside of the tank.

I don't know if they do them elsewhere but in Aus I have seen a few tanks (glass and acrylic) where the plumbing is in an external box and there is no internal box. The water flows over a groove in the back panel and into the external overflow, this groove is machined in (like a very wide U) and replaces the internal box and drilled holes. So in that case there are fully external overflows, fully internal overflows, dual internal/external overflows (like the ghost) and hang on the back/siphon overflows.

Also I have never seen an external overflow type where the water level wasn't set right as the water level depends on either the groove or the internal weir which you set when you drill the holes - I have only ever seen that occur with hang on overflows where you can't determine the height as well, so that might be what you are thinking of :)

My recommendation would be an external overflow box with a low profile internal weir and have the two connected by 2 large holes in the tank. You can buy off the shelf models like the ghost overflow or you can DIY with a glass external box and a glass internal weir like I did. It works very well.

Edit: the bit under the overflow box that isn't painted black is just my shoddy silicone work where I couldn't paint haha its not some major defect. And my internal box doesn't have teeth, the water just sheets over beautifully. Fish still can and do get over weirs that have teeth (except the ghost where it has an internal lid) and teeth just clog up and prevent optimal surface skimming.

Here is the view from the front:
20161105_144423_zpsv5krpcis.jpg

From the top:
20161105_144435_zpsvkjxysrl.jpg

And a side-ish view
20161105_144430_zpsybz4zuya.jpg

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could always look into mame overflows if you want that super sleek clean look versus having a corner of your tank look hideous in relation to the other 3

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the comments against U-tube overflows are cracking me up! Young uns! :p :D

The only failure I've had was on a defective unit....returned to the store for a replacement....end of story.

I've used U-tube overflows on most of my tanks starting in the 90's and that was literally my only instance of a problem.

I mean it takes exposure to air for the siphon to break and they are designed with failsafe weirs that prevent the water level from dropping far enough for air to reach the siphon. Barring defective/broken equipment, it would take a failure of gravity or something equally ridiculous to break the siphon!

Now the "continuous channel" overflows that get packed with a pump to restart the siphon are a different story for some reason, and the manufacturer knows it. I can't explain it, but there's no mystery. ;)

For quality U-tube overflows, check out the Tunze (favorite), Lifereef, Aqueon or even the low-end Eshopps – just fail-test them before putting anything alive in your tank. If they work during testing, they'll work virtually forever. :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back