OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drs foster and smith sell a product called Fish Bendezole. It says it is fembenzedole. It is $7.49 for three 250 mg packets. That would medicate a bunch if food!

I always take his advice with a grain of salt, but Fishman claims Levamisole is "effective against most internal parasites, especially nematodes": https://www.fishchemical.com/FULL-PRODUCT-LIST-LEVAMISOLE-HCL-59551.Item.html

I believe fenbendazole replaced levamisole since fish will typically not build a resistance to fenbendazole (like they do with levamisole.) But if fenbendazole fails you, I would probably try levamisole next.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most nematodes require intermediate hosts. There are some outliers. One way to avoid infection is buying your live foods from reputable dealers that run their cultures separate.

Or culturing your own and not feeding till 2 or 3 generations removed from the culture starter.

I had a Neascus infection earlier this year, treated by killing the intermediate host(snails). As an example of multiple host parasite.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help is appreciated...

I have a two clownfish that do indeed have white stringy poop, breathing heavy, hanging towards the bottom, loss of appetite, also occasionally shaking as if something is irritating their gills, occasionally darting fast, and one tends to swim in front of the power head on occasion.

I have had them well over a year. They are currently in QT with cuperamine treatment in process. I did a freshwater dip and did not notice any white spots or relief. Any insight is appreciated. I’m stumped as to if an intestinal worm could cause this much harm or am I dealing with a combo of worms and ich maybe. However no white spots or mucus is evident. Loss of color yes, probably due to stress.

My main worry is the heavy breathing, swimming on the bottom, shaking and white stringy poop.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brett W It sounds like your clowns may have an internal pathogen + velvet/brook.

I would begin dosing metronidazole in conjunction with copper. And also food soak prazi + metro. API General Cure contains both medications.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brett W It sounds like your clowns may have an internal pathogen + velvet/brook.

I would begin dosing metronidazole in conjunction with copper. And also food soak prazi + metro. API General Cure contains both medications.

Dosing Metronidazole? I have metroplex on hand is that something that can be dosed as metronidazole? Or is that something separate I should look for

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing Metronidazole? I have metroplex on hand is that something that can be dosed as metronidazole? Or is that something separate I should look for

Yes, Metroplex contains metronidazole so it can be used. Dose every 48 hours for 10-14 days.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Metroplex contains metronidazole so it can be used. Dose every 48 hours for 10-14 days.

Thank you!! I will give that a shot. Any recommendations on dosage amount for the metro? Current QT is a 20gal long with seeded filter sponge and as stated before currently treating with cupramine. I know bottle states to not use in conjunction with other meds but it has been 4 days now and no change.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I will give that a shot. Any recommendations on dosage amount for the metro? Current QT is a 20gal long with seeded filter sponge and as stated before currently treating with cupramine. I know bottle states to not use in conjunction with other meds but it has been 4 days now and no change.

I believe for Metroplex it's 1 scoop per 10 gallons.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for help Humble!
Metroplex has been added and cupramine has reached the required .5 level.
Breathing is still very rapid on both. The large clown seems to be fanning her self / moving her fins really fast, darting and shaking her head.

Is there anything else I can do at this time?

I have Quick Cure Frtiz ordered and I am considering possibly doing a 30-60min bath? Or Should I just give it time.

Soaked the food with some prazi, metro and focus. However, they did not eat :(

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to administer fenbendazole? I ran a course of GC soaked food w/ focus and the white stringy poo is still present. It did get better during treatment, but came back once it was stopped. Any considerations with an angel and tang with this medication?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else I can do at this time?

I have Quick Cure Frtiz ordered and I am considering possibly doing a 30-60min bath? Or Should I just give it time.

Soaked the food with some prazi, metro and focus. However, they did not eat :(

Unless symptoms worsen, I wouldn't expose him to formalin (Quick Cure).

What's the best way to administer fenbendazole? I ran a course of GC soaked food w/ focus and the white stringy poo is still present. It did get better during treatment, but came back once it was stopped. Any considerations with an angel and tang with this medication?

I've been primarily food soaking it, the same as you would prazi or metro. I've also dosed the water with fenbendazole @ 2 mg/L (7.6 mg/gal), once/week for three weeks. That in-tank dosage was recommended to me by Fenner.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to notice some white shimmer on the fish body and tail. What would that possibly indicate? Mucus build up? Brook? Should I continue the path I am on?

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting to notice a white shimmer on the fishes body and tail. Would this suggest possibly brook? Should I continue the regiment I am on?

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I treat the food with fenbendazole? 1 or 2 weeks? Seems to be more potent, so I want to be causious. Also, what is the best source? Thomas Labs is available on Amazon and Dr Foster Smith, good to use or try another source?

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still stumped as to what is going on. Two clowns in QT with copper (.5) + Metroplex. One has passed. No noticeable signs of velvet or brook. Gills were severely inflamed. I left the decease fish in fresh water for some time to see if anything would fall off and nothing. I have attached pictures. In QT he was a much deeper black. When he passed he seemed to have lost a lot of color. I don't see any signs of anything and its getting tough. I have a total of 5 display tanks. I am starting to notice heavy breathing in most of the fish now. I will also add they are majority clownfish and I fear that I have cross contaminated between all the tanks before any signs were noticed. No mucus coat or excess skin noticed for brook. Velvet? Brook? Something? Should I continue copper? I just don't know...

I recently ordered Ruby Reef Rally and General Cure.

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I treat the food with fenbendazole? 1 or 2 weeks? Seems to be more potent, so I want to be causious. Also, what is the best source? Thomas Labs is available on Amazon and Dr Foster Smith, good to use or try another source?

I would treat for 3 weeks or until you see completely normal (brown) poop, whichever comes first.

Gills were severely inflamed.

Ammonia? o_O

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat for 3 weeks or until you see completely normal (brown) poop, whichever comes first.

Ammonia? o_O
No ammonia according to ammonia badge. The tank has been established for over 6 years. Lots of live rock and marine pure blocks.

Leaning maybe towards velvet?!?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia according to ammonia badge. The tank has been established for over 6 years. Lots of live rock and marine pure blocks.

Leaning maybe towards velvet?!?

How long has Cupramine been at 0.5? If >4 days, velvet should no longer be present on the fish and the presence of copper should be protecting from reinfection.

However, in a 6 year old QT any other medications would be rapidly biodegraded out of the water: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

So if these clowns have brook, dosing metro would provide some relief, but probably wouldn’t remain active in the water long enough for complete eradication.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has Cupramine been at 0.5? If >4 days, velvet should no longer be present on the fish and the presence of copper should be protecting from reinfection.

However, in a 6 year old QT any other medications would be rapidly biodegraded out of the water: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

So if these clowns have brook, dosing metro would provide some relief, but probably wouldn’t remain active in the water long enough for complete eradication.

Would brook show no signs? They have been in .5 cupramime for for four days. The remaining clown is showing some signs of improvement. Eating more and not shaking /darting around as much. Anything else I should do? Ruby dip?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would brook show no signs? They have been in .5 cupramime for for four days. The remaining clown is showing some signs of improvement. Eating more and not shaking /darting around as much. Anything else I should do? Ruby dip?

IME; Copper will oftentimes suppress symptoms of brook, but won't fully eradicate it. Which is why you may not be seeing signs.

A Ruby Reef Rally bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT is sometimes enough. If you put the fish right back into the same QT, they will just get reinfected.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back