Internal Issues

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME; Copper will oftentimes suppress symptoms of brook, but won't fully eradicate it. Which is why you may not be seeing signs.

A Ruby Reef Rally bath, followed by transfer to a sterile QT is sometimes enough. If you put the fish right back into the same QT, they will just get reinfected.

So the plan - Ruby dip and then right into new QT tank with general cure + kanaplex and furan.

I’m still slightly worried it may be velvet and not brook. Should I continue the copper treatment as well in the new tank? Or since I am transferring them to a new tank I will be okay. By the time the new tank is ready and the dip takes place they will only have been in copper(.5) for 6-7 days.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan - Ruby dip and then right into new QT tank with general cure + kanaplex and furan.

I’m still slightly worried it may be velvet and not brook. Should I continue the copper treatment as well in the new tank? Or since I am transferring them to a new tank I will be okay. By the time the new tank is ready and the dip takes place they will only have been in copper(.5) for 6-7 days.

I’d like to think it’s brook as I’m dealing with mostly clownfish. But I’m not seeing any symptoms of brook. The head twitching and heavy breathing (out of no where) were the first symptoms noticed. Makes me lean towards velvet attacking the gills. But then I believe brook may attack the gills first as well but not 100% sure.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brett W You can combine copper w/ GC + antibiotics if you feel velvet might be the issue.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible internal parasite like worms would cause heavy breathing?

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible internal parasite like worms would cause heavy breathing?

Thank you Humble! Sorry for all posts and being somewhat Redundant. It is on my mind 24/7 wondering what is going on with these fish. I appreciate the help!

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend fish remain in copper(.5) before taking them out and transferring them to a new tank?

I will dip them in ruby reef rally before entering new tank. New tank will be treated with GC. Also should I dose additional Metronidazole(Metroplex) in conjunction with GC. As I will only be dosing GC first day and then again 5 days later.

Brett W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble what would be your thoughts on dosing metroplex in addition to GC? Not necessary? In regards to treating brook.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble what would be your thoughts on dosing metroplex in addition to GC? Not necessary? In regards to treating brook.

No harm in using Metroplex in addition to GC. Just be sure not to dose Metroplex 48 hours before or after GC, as that already contains metronidazole.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in QT with a big belly. Eats voraciously and swims normally. No white stringy poop. What's the best course of action to prophylactically rule out internal pathogens? I was thinking about doing metro at the lower dosage (1 scoop per 10 gallons every 48 hours) for 10 days, then prazipro for prophylactic fluke treatment afterwards.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fish in QT with a big belly. Eats voraciously and swims normally. No white stringy poop. What's the best course of action to prophylactically rule out internal pathogens? I was thinking about doing metro at the lower dosage (1 scoop per 10 gallons every 48 hours) for 10 days, then prazipro for prophylactic fluke treatment afterwards.

What fish is it and how long has the belly been bloated?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dogface puffer. Purchased it 4 days ago. Not sure if it's bloat or just normal pudginess: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/impulse-purchase.477427/#post-5238060

Puffers tend to look pudgy like that, especially right after they've eaten.

Can the second tank after 14 day quarantine of copper be your DT? Why or why not?

No, because copper is not a cure-all. It doesn't treat worms, infections, Brooklynella, Uronema. You want to observe for (or prophylactically treat) those diseases in a second quarantine tank.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have General Cure. Should I dose 1 packet per 10 gallons every 48 hours for 10 days?

No, dose 1 packet per 10 gallons and then about a week later do it again. 2 doses in total spread out over 5-7 days.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, dose 1 packet per 10 gallons and then about a week later do it again. 2 doses in total spread out over 5-7 days.

Thanks, so similar to prazi dosing. Wouldn't this be underdosing metro though?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so similar to prazi dosing. Wouldn't this be underdosing metro though?

GC’s metro concentration is the maximum you can safely dose, but if you wanted to dose it every 48 hours (to treat brook or uronema) then just use Seachem Metroplex in-between GC dosing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back