Internal Worms or Just Worms?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, now that I got you here with the clickbait title, it’s time to get to the point. I have my entire tank currently on QT for Velvet. It’s great. We are approaching to last month and I decided to restock before adding so I can QT them all at once. So here we go.

I feed a variety of foods, one being live white worms. Could this be what I saw the Wrasse discharge or was it in fact an intestinal worm. It looked like normal poo(ish) but it was white.

Other foods I feed include of LRS red frenzy and fresh clams. Other fish are:
Pair of 4spot butterflies
Yellowbanded Wrasse (showing poo)
Carpenters Flasher
2x Chromis
Singapore angle
Yellow clown goby
Melenarus Wrasse

Thoughts? I have read humbles thread about intestinal worms as well as multiple cases of metro not working. I will need to grab more meds tomorrow so let me know what else I need. All I have is Metro and Kanaplex and Cupramine.
@Big G @Humblefish @Maritimer @melypr1985 and whoever else is willing to pitch in. Going to hold off on RS

Last edited:

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish? I've had a couple fish come in with long white poop and things seemed to resolve itself after a few days. I've read high protein, specifically mysis heavy, diets can cause this. Was it just once or is this an ongoing thing? If this was a one time deal from a new fish I'd observe for a few days. Keep an eye on the other fish because if one has em, they all do. Is the wrasse bloated or does the stomach look shrunken? Those are other (sometimes) indicators of internal parasites.

As far as metro goes it's hit or miss. For internal parasites you bind it with focus in food. I've had it work in the past but I'm actually dealing with some now that weren't phased by metro or prazi. I was actually going to harass Humblefish about fenbendazole since he'd been doing some experimenting with it

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I saw effected isn’t too new. Coming up on 2 weeks. No physical symptoms (belly bloat or shrunk) just one stringyish poo.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I saw effected isn’t too new. Coming up on 2 weeks. No physical symptoms (belly bloat or shrunk) just one stringyish poo.

I’ve had a similar situation with a tang. Had white stringy poop. I think it was nothing to worry about but he was also really skinny from the LFS so I used prazipro anyway. Now he’s fattening up and looking good.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He may have been depressed and went on a binge

If you're doing qt anyway I'd do a couple rounds of prazi. In most situations this'll rid internal parasites anyway and you'll also eliminate (most) flukes, if he brought those in. Otherwise I'd observe.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been depressed and went on a binge

If you're doing qt anyway I'd do a couple rounds of prazi. In most situations this'll rid internal parasites anyway and you'll also eliminate (most) flukes, if he brought those in. Otherwise I'd observe.

You thinking dose as a whole or just through the food?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any other meds right now? If so, I'd wait until the treatment is done. If not, I'd dose the water. Since you'll be doing a few rounds you'll have a fairly good idea as to whether or not they've got worms. If they do after the prazi you could always feed metro/focus.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back