International marine biology intern/program

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’m looking for a international marine biology program for reef conservation. I’m 19 and I’m not really wanting to go to college for a degree but i am really wanting to get into marine biology. I heard you can pay to go like to Fiji and such to study marine biology and get your divers license and study coral. I’m just not sure where to look or how to move forward to become a marine biologist without a college degree. Please help!!!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to say it but skipping how to become a scientist and the certification of it is going to eliminate your ability t get into a scientific field. At most you could assist people for a very very low pay, but you won't be able to do your own research with any organization outside what a typical hobbyist does. In these sorts of fields, things van be extremely competitive. Even getting volunteer positions is very competitive for people with degrees

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to say it but skipping how to become a scientist and the certification of it is going to eliminate your ability t get into a scientific field. At most you could assist people for a very very low pay, but you won't be able to do your own research with any organization outside what a typical hobbyist does. In these sorts of fields, things van be extremely competitive. Even getting volunteer positions is very competitive for people with degrees
See I beg to differ In this day and age people aren’t nessaroliy looking for college degrees. I’m mean either way I’m not going to college but that doesn’t mean there’s not another way one of my friends who’s a really good marine biologist with a degree says he really didn’t need a degree in it his boss didn’t even care he had one.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I beg to differ In this day and age people aren’t nessaroliy looking for college degrees. I’m mean either way I’m not going to college but that doesn’t mean there’s not another way one of my friends who’s a really good marine biologist with a degree says he really didn’t need a degree in it his boss didn’t even care he had one.

What kind of job does your friend have? That makes a huge difference.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add that it doesn't "eliminate" it, but makes positions in these fields very limited. If you are wanting to do research on conservation, then yes, you need an undergrad degree, and most likely a graduate degree. If you just want to get a job with marine life, its technically possible, but you'll often be competing with people who have years of formal education on the topic (and have a degree to show that they were able to put in the grind to do so).

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add that it doesn't "eliminate" it, but makes positions in these fields very limited. If you are wanting to do research on conservation, then yes, you need an undergrad degree, and most likely a graduate degree. If you just want to get a job with marine life, its technically possible, but you'll often be competing with people who have years of formal education on the topic (and have a degree to show that they were able to put in the grind to do so).
See either way I’m not getting a degree because not all options require it I’m wanting to know what I can do without one not why I need one or what I can’t do.

HMCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine biologist here - any of the internships where you pay for your own experience are NOT something to pursue. You can work with citizen science groups and volunteer organizations if you want to be adjacent to the field, but you can't be a professional biologist without some kind of degree. Yes, there are some known entities that claim to be experts without a degree, but it's false claims and self promotion to push their brand/agenda.

You don't have to get a Marine Science BS specifically, but this field is incredibly competitive, so some higher education is necessary. I know people who have graduate degrees and are no longer in the field due to being unable to find a job, and people with PhDs making $45k a year because they had to go for jobs they're ridiculously over-qualified for.

I apologize if this comes across harsh, it's just the reality. I am more than happy to give further guidance, I want nothing more than to see others make it in this field, you just have to be 100% committed.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're saying marine biology is a scientific field and thus, will have academic requirements if you want to contribute on an academic level. There are certainly jobs out there adjacent to or participating IN marine biology, but specifically being a marine biologist will likely require a bachelor's degree at a minimum.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s not that I’m wanting to get paid I just have a lot of knowledge about marine biology and college isn’t on the table for me and I’m trying to find another way I was hoping in the long run to find a job that will take me places to go help with the conversation.

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
College is just not on the table so what are my other options? What else is there for me? I know how fast coral reefs are fading away and I want to be apart of saving them before there gone for good!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See either way I’m not getting a degree because not all options require it I’m wanting to know what I can do without one not why I need one or what I can’t do.
Then you clearly know more than we do. You should be able to find this great internship just fine, lol.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
College is just not on the table so what are my other options? What else is there for me? I know how fast coral reefs are fading away and I want to be apart of saving them before there gone for good!!
You should be asking the coral conservation agencies these questions.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reu's are awesome (and funded) but as far as i know you have to be persuing a degree

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are. In this day and age, a bachelor's degree is what a high school diploma used to be. Especially in a competitive field, you're not going to be able to do anything above entry level grunt work without a degree.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are. In this day and age, a bachelor's degree is what a high school diploma used to be. Especially in a competitive field, you're not going to be able to do anything above entry level grunt work without a degree.
Erin is right for the most part but there are some great opportunties (albiet scarce) but the big thing is there is is 0 job security since the project you may get hired for is generally on a fixed budget from a grant ie. it will end.

Aquaculture (both for food and aquariums) is growing do you have any interest in that? Idk anything about how that field functions/qualifications tho

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have to agree with others that a degree is something employers still care about these days (whether or not they should is another matter that is altogether too complicated and likely too controversial answer-wise to get into here), and - as was also pointed out - certain fields are bursting at the seams with qualified (read: certified/degreed) individuals who will almost always be chosen over someone who can’t show those same or greater qualifications.

If college is for sure not something you’re interested in looking into, then you’re pretty well limited to volunteer work or unpaid internships (assuming a more qualified candidate doesn’t beat you out for this), possibly joining on in some kind of aquaculture industry job (I also don’t know anything about how that field operates as far as hiring is concerned), or starting your own business/non-profit to try and help.

Depending on what you’re interested in, opening your own business or trying to join on with another business might not be a bad idea. Aquaculture in particular is a great field for conservation that you could probably get in to, as every fish/coral/whatever sold (either for aquariums or for food) that is captive-bred is one less taken from nature. Similarly, there are various mariculture projects that help by growing out things like sponges for commercial purposes (some people use dried marine sponges for skincare and other things), preventing wild harvesting and frequently helping impoverished communities in the process by providing jobs and external sales to support the local economy. I’m sure there are some other creative ways to help that you might be able to get involved with or to come up with out there, but these are the ones that I’m aware of that actually exist right now.

Anyway, if you’re dead set on avoiding college but trying marine biology anyway, I’d suggest making some phone calls and sending some emails to ask some of the various professional groups out there about what you could do. If conservation through aquaculture is your thing, Rising Tide Conservation, Frank Baensch, and the Horniman Aquarium of the Horniman Museum and Gardens would be great places (or, in Frank’s case, a great person) to reach out to. The Horniman Aquarium in particular is studying captive-breeding of corals - not growing out and fragging, but actual spawning, breeding, and rearing corals - so they’d likely be a great resource to contact about coral reef conservation. If aquaculture is not your thing, but you’re still interested in conservation, you could also reach out to Save the Nautilus or similar groups and ask them for advice. If nothing else, they might be able to point you to someone studying/working with something you’re more interested in that you could talk to.

As a side note, with fish and invert aquaculture, the main issue seems to be cost effectiveness of culturing certain species more than anything at this point, so if you could figure out ways to make the process cheaper, less labor intensive, and/or more effective generally, then that would do a ton of good for the field and for conservation efforts as a whole. Similarly, if you could figure out ways to help corals be more tolerant of heat stress and/or more resistant to pathogenic microorganisms, that would likely do a world of good for the reefs too.

All of that said, if you really want into the field, college would likely be a much easier path to that end for you than most of your other options.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and I applaud your desire to help!

OP
OP
MysticBlue

MysticBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I have to agree with others that a degree is something employers still care about these days (whether or not they should is another matter that is altogether too complicated and likely too controversial answer-wise to get into here), and - as was also pointed out - certain fields are bursting at the seams with qualified (read: certified/degreed) individuals who will almost always be chosen over someone who can’t show those same or greater qualifications.

If college is for sure not something you’re interested in looking into, then you’re pretty well limited to volunteer work or unpaid internships (assuming a more qualified candidate doesn’t beat you out for this), possibly joining on in some kind of aquaculture industry job (I also don’t know anything about how that field operates as far as hiring is concerned), or starting your own business/non-profit to try and help.

Depending on what you’re interested in, opening your own business or trying to join on with another business might not be a bad idea. Aquaculture in particular is a great field for conservation that you could probably get in to, as every fish/coral/whatever sold (either for aquariums or for food) that is captive-bred is one less taken from nature. Similarly, there are various mariculture projects that help by growing out things like sponges for commercial purposes (some people use dried marine sponges for skincare and other things), preventing wild harvesting and frequently helping impoverished communities in the process by providing jobs and external sales to support the local economy. I’m sure there are some other creative ways to help that you might be able to get involved with or to come up with out there, but these are the ones that I’m aware of that actually exist right now.

Anyway, if you’re dead set on avoiding college but trying marine biology anyway, I’d suggest making some phone calls and sending some emails to ask some of the various professional groups out there about what you could do. If conservation through aquaculture is your thing, Rising Tide Conservation, Frank Baensch, and the Horniman Aquarium of the Horniman Museum and Gardens would be great places (or, in Frank’s case, a great person) to reach out to. The Horniman Aquarium in particular is studying captive-breeding of corals - not growing out and fragging, but actual spawning, breeding, and rearing corals - so they’d likely be a great resource to contact about coral reef conservation. If aquaculture is not your thing, but you’re still interested in conservation, you could also reach out to Save the Nautilus or similar groups and ask them for advice. If nothing else, they might be able to point you to someone studying/working with something you’re more interested in that you could talk to.

As a side note, with fish and invert aquaculture, the main issue seems to be cost effectiveness of culturing certain species more than anything at this point, so if you could figure out ways to make the process cheaper, less labor intensive, and/or more effective generally, then that would do a ton of good for the field and for conservation efforts as a whole. Similarly, if you could figure out ways to help corals be more tolerant of heat stress and/or more resistant to pathogenic microorganisms, that would likely do a world of good for the reefs too.

All of that said, if you really want into the field, college would likely be a much easier path to that end for you than most of your other options.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and I applaud your desire to help!
The thing is it’s not that I’m not interested in going to college it’s honestly not possible for me. One I’m extremely broke and there’s not possible way I’m getting a scholarship two I’ve got so many aquariums, bees, animals, and so on I have to take care of. And three I was homeschooling all my life and I don’t think I could stand going lol!! Unless there’s a college that can be credited online that’s a reasonable price and that people would actually hire me for then tell me otherwise what I’m hearing is I’m screwed.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One I’m extremely broke and there’s not possible way I’m getting a scholarship two I’ve got so many aquariums, bees, animals, and so on I have to take care of. And three I was homeschooling all my life and I don’t think I could stand going lol!! Unless there’s a college that can be credited online that’s a reasonable price and that people would actually hire me for then tell me otherwise what I’m hearing is I’m screwed.
I heard you can pay to go like to Fiji and such to study marine biology and get your divers license and study coral.
So, you want to pay $$$ to go away to do an internship in Fiji, BUT you're broke and can't leave home for long?

My best advice to you right now is to stop and rethink your goals and expectations. If you had said "I know I want XX specific job, what can I do besides college to get the experience I need to be hired", that would be one thing (although not necessarily something people on a hobby forum could answer).

But you have a vague goal of "doing marine biology"... which I think most of us can relate to ;)

One thing about working on a college degree is it exposes you to a lot of things you would probably never think of. You can get new ideas and/or narrow down some of the ones you already have. You get the opportunity to do things hands on and meet people that can guide you in choosing your career path.

There are options besides enrolling in a large university...

Take some classes at a community college. Get the basic requirements for a degree in a biology field done and then see how you feel about things.

Get certified as a diver (from your first post, it sounds like you aren't) and work on advanced certifications as they interest you.

As others have suggested, talk to people doing work in marine biology - either places you might want to get a job or someone in the marine biology department of a college -- and get some career advice from them.

Think about getting a part- or full-time job that exposes you to experiences and people that can guide you...

You are young and it's easy to get discouraged when you don't feel you have options, but I think if you allow yourself a few years to explore what you want to actually do, and get exposed to different options, you'll be on the right track.

Last edited:
Back