International marine biology intern/program

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And help or completely pay for college
To add to this. A lot of states have where a community college is no charge and is supported by the lottery. One could go get an associates, then get a job in the field and pursue additional items to further the degree and make a living at the same time.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to this. A lot of states have where a community college is no charge and is supported by the lottery. One could go get an associates, then get a job in the field and pursue additional items to further the degree and make a living at the same time.
I have a feeling OP must know about at least some of these programs if he's really looked into it...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best advice if you just can't form a plan at this age is either to join the military (many many positives will be found if you look into it) or jump with both feet into the world and explore the various, seemingly crazy opportunities and lessons it has to offer. Otherwise you'll wake up in 10 years in the same place you are now.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. That sucks. Even with a graduate degree, I left the field because of the "always wanted to be a marine biologist" people. The first time I honestly began to realize that I might be screwed was when a fellow graduate student said to me, "I don't care what I do or don't get paid as long as I can work with sharks".
When I was younger...pre high school I was "the shark kid". I saw myself being a marine biologist like Cousteau since that is what I was exposed to in the late 70's early 80's. Hearing these Marine Biologist horror stories now, I'm glad I picked fish farming as a profession. I liked aquariums and freshwater fishing in my high school years and the only real world exposure to the work was TV specials on mostly marine biology topics, big public aquariums, state/federal salmonid hatcheries or the game warden checking my fishing license.

I figured at the time that every state in the union probably had one or two government hatcheries. I may not drive a Cadillac, but I do have a roof over my head.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the military option.

I know a guy who went into the coast guard when he was younger. I think did it for ten years, then was doing some seasonal fisheries work for the Forest Service and also going to school part time.

He was about 40 when I met him several years ago and was determined to get a hatchery job when he finished his schooling. I really didn't think he was going to be able to get in being later in life, but he was able to land a Federal hatchery Job, I think he gets preference because of the military. He bounced from a couple of Midwest hatchery jobs, but finally came back to his home state and is working as a Federal Fisheries Technician now.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the military option.

I know a guy who went into the coast guard when he was younger. I think did it for ten years, then was doing some seasonal fisheries work for the Forest Service and also going to school part time.

He was about 40 when I met him several years ago and was determined to get a hatchery job when he finished his schooling. I really didn't think he was going to be able to get in being later in life, but he was able to land a Federal hatchery Job, I think he gets preference because of the military. He bounced from a couple of Midwest hatchery jobs, but finally came back to his home state and is working as a Federal Fisheries Technician now.
Sounds like he had the military and most of all determination on his side

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back