International shipping

  • Thread starter Thread starter mfinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
14,343
Reaction score
11,308
Location
Olympia, WA.
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Does anyone have experience shipping dry goods to a destination like Brazil?
I had someone contact me and ask me to ship my Inland coral saw to him in Brazil.
He said he was willing to pay the shipping charges which look to be about $90 via usps.
I said I was unwilling and he seemed to get a little upset.
Is shipping international as straight forward as shipping inside the continental USA?
 
I once shipped a car driveshaft to Russia. It was surprisingly painless - I sold it on eBay, they paid with PayPal, I can't recall what carrier I used for shipping.

I was prepared for it to turn into a disaster and be a total loss for me, but it all worked out fine. If worried about a payment dispute after the fact, customs issues, or any other surprises - is there any kind of 3rd party or escrow type service to use?
 
Lots of those places have crazy high taxes so its cheaper to buy from the US and have it shipped in. I'm not completely sure about the legality or the logistics of it but honestly I would not bother yourself with it too much. The buyer can purchase it from a retailer that has more protections than you do
 
As a Canadian I've always found it interesting that so many people in the US are hesitant to ship internationally. At least here you fill in a customs form online which consists of the persons address what you are sending and dollar value. Takes 1-2 minutes to fill out online, and at the post office they scan the barcode and it prints the form. I find this actually saves time since I don't have to write the person's address or my return address on the envelope / box since the customs for contains both.

For UPS / Fedex you just select the country, what it is and value and it's included on the shipping label.
 
As a Canadian I've always found it interesting that so many people in the US are hesitant to ship internationally. At least here you fill in a customs form online which consists of the persons address what you are sending and dollar value. Takes 1-2 minutes to fill out online, and at the post office they scan the barcode and it prints the form. I find this actually saves time since I don't have to write the person's address or my return address on the envelope / box since the customs for contains both.

For UPS / Fedex you just select the country, what it is and value and it's included on the shipping label.
I've shipped to Canada and done the customs forms.
At the time ( several years ago) there was no item number to list aquarium pumps on the custom forms.
I don't remember exactly what we listed the 6 Poseidon pumps as, but I think it had something to do with farm equipment.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new