Introducing 2 new yellow tangs. purple already in

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I'm looking for suggestions on adding 2 yellow tangs to my tank that already houses a purple. The yellows are currently in QT undergoing copper as a precaution. The yellows are both about 4 -4.5 inches, the purple close to 7 inches. The purple had been with yellows before but they were lost in a velvet outbreak almost a year ago so it has been the only zebrasoma in the tank since then. Originally I was going to use an acclimation box but 2 days after I got the first yellow a second came into the store so I bought it also. I don't know but I'm thinking I may be better introducing them both at the same time? Late in the eve not too long before lights out? The yellows are currently in a QT with an eggcrate divider so they can see each other but not interact. Ideally I would catch the purple and put it in an acclimation box but that would require a tear down which I'm not up to after doing it a few weeks ago to catch a niger trigger that went rogue and started chomping on all my softies. The tank is standard 6ft 180g shown below. The rock work is against the back wall but the base is not so there is room for the fish to swim the full length behind the rock work and not be trapped. Also all caves have 2 entrances / exits so the purple should not be able to trap them in a cave and work them over. Any recommendations from those of you that have successfully added new tangs of the zebrasoma species? I have a lot invested in these two yellows and they are beautiful fish eating well so I want to do this the best way possible. Don't bother suggesting mirrors, my purple could not care less about his reflection.

20221031_124727.jpg

new guys
20221015_113758.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all 3 being on the larger and more mature end, it could go either way.

I would be catching the purple tang with a trap and having It in an acclimation box vs the yellows. It takes some time and diligence, but can be done.

Feed everyone heavy for the week before introduction. Add them in after lights out. Have a mirror handy, just in case.

Good luck.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all 3 being on the larger and more mature end, it could go either way.

I would be catching the purple tang with a trap and having It in an acclimation box vs the yellows. It takes some time and diligence, but can be done.

Feed everyone heavy for the week before introduction. Add them in after lights out. Have a mirror handy, just in case.

Good luck.
I have a couple of weeks before I will be adding the yellows so I guess I could spend some time trying to catch the purple. Heck I'm retired so its not like I don't have time lol. If I can catch it I can actually move it to a 40 gallon breeder I have running in the basement. That may be better than an acclimation box. He can stay there for a couple of weeks and the purple can be the new kid on the block :thinking-face:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of weeks before I will be adding the yellows so I guess I could spend some time trying to catch the purple. Heck I'm retired so its not like I don't have time lol. If I can catch it I can actually move it to a 40 gallon breeder I have running in the basement. That may be better than an acclimation box. He can stay there for a couple of weeks and the purple can be the new kid on the block :thinking-face:
I would move some rock scape around whilst doing this but the plan seems perfect for these three fish.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of yellow's that large and what was in their tank prior to your trade or purchase? I would second moving the purple to an appropriate sized acclimation box and let the yellows get the lay of the display. Observe and wait a couple days or more before releasing the purple.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the source of yellow's that large and what was in their tank prior to your trade or purchase? I would second moving the purple to an appropriate sized acclimation box and let the yellows get the lay of the display. Observe and wait a couple days or more before releasing the purple.
They are preban Hawaiians that came into my local salt water only store from two seperate tank teardowns. Not sure what the set ups were where they came from.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great option.

Get the yellows comfy and eating and settled, prior to moving the purple back in.

Any time i add anything larger, I have to remove my Desjardini for a week otherwise, all hell breaks loose.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully some of you are still here. I didn't want to start a new thread if I can get the answers here. I've been thinking and if I'm going to go through the work of getting the purple tang out I wonder if I should go ahead and introduce my CBB fish that I've been growing out. I bought it with the intentions of moving it to the 180 eventually. I have had it for more than 6 months and it is doing awesome but it's in a 24x20x20 tank. I'm thinking maybe introduce it at the same time as the yellow tangs since the purple will be gone temporarily and the yellows will be new also. Does this sound like a good idea or no? The CBB is at least 3 inches maybe a little larger
20221023_163110.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully some of you are still here. I didn't want to start a new thread if I can get the answers here. I've been thinking and if I'm going to go through the work of getting the purple tang out I wonder if I should go ahead and introduce my CBB fish that I've been growing out. I bought it with the intentions of moving it to the 180 eventually. I have had it for more than 6 months and it is doing awesome but it's in a 24x20x20 tank. I'm thinking maybe introduce it at the same time as the yellow tangs since the purple will be gone temporarily and the yellows will be new also. Does this sound like a good idea or no? The CBB is at least 3 inches maybe a little larger
20221023_163110.jpg
This would be the time to do it if you're going to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
20221023_163110.jpg
Should be ok. I have a large CBB in with 20 tangs and no issues. They may chase at first but wont injure it

1667256491255.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey all I'm looking for suggestions on adding 2 yellow tangs to my tank that already houses a purple. The yellows are currently in QT undergoing copper as a precaution. The yellows are both about 4 -4.5 inches, the purple close to 7 inches. The purple had been with yellows before but they were lost in a velvet outbreak almost a year ago so it has been the only zebrasoma in the tank since then. Originally I was going to use an acclimation box but 2 days after I got the first yellow a second came into the store so I bought it also. I don't know but I'm thinking I may be better introducing them both at the same time? Late in the eve not too long before lights out? The yellows are currently in a QT with an eggcrate divider so they can see each other but not interact. Ideally I would catch the purple and put it in an acclimation box but that would require a tear down which I'm not up to after doing it a few weeks ago to catch a niger trigger that went rogue and started chomping on all my softies. The tank is standard 6ft 180g shown below. The rock work is against the back wall but the base is not so there is room for the fish to swim the full length behind the rock work and not be trapped. Also all caves have 2 entrances / exits so the purple should not be able to trap them in a cave and work them over. Any recommendations from those of you that have successfully added new tangs of the zebrasoma species? I have a lot invested in these two yellows and they are beautiful fish eating well so I want to do this the best way possible. Don't bother suggesting mirrors, my purple could not care less about his reflection.

20221031_124727.jpg

new guys
20221015_113758.jpg
Having many tangs including 6 Yellows, place purple in isolation or acclimation box and allow the yellows to settle in.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok. I have a large CBB in with 20 tangs and no issues. They may chase at first but wont injure it

1667256491255.png
I had the exact same experience. Chasing for 3 to 4 days then calmed down. Once in a blue moon my purple tang will dart at him but never resulted in any damage. They've been together about 4 months now.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same experience. Chasing for 3 to 4 days then calmed down. Once in a blue moon my purple tang will dart at him but never resulted in any damage. They've been together about 4 months now.
There's another side to that story. My Desjardini has killed the last two CBB I've introduced. I think she's run into the glass too many times and thinks the cbb looks like her.

When I reopen my new tank, the cbb will be settled prior to the rest of the tangs reintroducing.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another side to that story. My Desjardini has killed the last two CBB I've introduced. I think she's run into the glass too many times and thinks the cbb looks like her.

When I reopen my new tank, the cbb will be settled prior to the rest of the tangs reintroducing.
I had a Scopas kill 2 CBBs in my last tank. These tangs aren’t to mess with when it comes to aggression, any tall fish is 50/50 with Zebrasomas.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Scopas kill 2 CBBs in my last tank. These tangs aren’t to mess with when it comes to aggression, any tall fish is 50/50 with Zebrasomas.
Maybe I'll leave the CBB where it's at for now. It is not even close to outgrowing it's current tank yet. I want to add a clam to that tank but not at the cost of the CBB. It's the first one I have been succesful with :thinking-face:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also pull the long time resident zebrasomas for a bit. Sounds like a major reset and the sailfin doesn't like change. Much like @i cant think my scopas went bananas when I added the purple and two yellows. The scopas had to be rehomed, it just wouldn't play nice.

Either way, good luck!

I just recently added an Lamarck's and I've discovered the purple has become the 'unfriendly' tang. It wasn't as bad as I thought but non the less I know the current hierarchy now.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be ok if you add the cbb first. Then add the yellows and the purple last.
Good idea. The yellows still have a couple of weeks left in QT. I'll work on getting the purple out early and get the butterfly in first. Thanks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back