Introducing CBB to tank with Purple Tang

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on white worms. I bought a starter culture which reproduced so slowly, no way it was enough. Picking them out of the dirt was also a pain in the .... CBB's eat so much it would have devoured everything I had bought in a matter of a few days. Ended up buying a half pound of black worms from Eastern aquatics after I saw how many it ate. They live in water so no soil to sift through.

Here's a list of everything my cbb eats that you may also consider trying.

clams, mussels ,calamari, scallops, shrimp, mysis, brine (not favorite), aiptasia, even boiled egg yolk (though I read that can spoil a tank) You can get scallops,shrimp,calamari mix at trader joes cheaper than pet store frozen. My cbb loves the calamari and scallops.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for my fish from DrReef. However, the white worm cultures are coming along well. How do you guys harvest and feed them to fish? Do I pick out just enough for a feeding every day and dump into the DT? Or do I harvest once a week and store it somehow?

Thanks
I keep a piece of plastic needle point mesh in the tub that I put the food on. Then when I need some worms I just scrape some worms off the mesh trying to avoid any remaining food. I scrape some off everyday and feed them to my tank with my other foods for my CBB to eat.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on white worms. I bought a starter culture which reproduced so slowly, no way it was enough.
It takes a while for the culture to get reproducing quickly but eventually it will start making more worms than you could need. However, since your CBB is eating plenty of non live food I definitely wouldn’t mess with worm cultures either.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a while for the culture to get reproducing quickly but eventually it will start making more worms than you could need. However, since your CBB is eating plenty of non live food I definitely wouldn’t mess with worm cultures either.
I had 3 months start on white but wasn't long enough or I did something wrong so having the blackworms on order was what I had to do. He started eating frozen after a week and the 1/2 lb worms lasted about 4 months. By then he was eating lots of other things so yeah no need.

taulgrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split An old CD case into two parts and lay one half on top of soil (and over the dry cat food). Worms stick to plastic but very little soil and food do. Then I just pick up plastic piece w worms attached and dip it into tank to release them. I use it as a time add more cat food or spray w water before replacing plastic on soil. I have two separate cultures and feed about every other day. Works great!

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my wait for the fish from DrReef continues ... my tank is slowly getting runover by Aiptasia. I have not bothered to kill any knowing that they might actually help feed the CBB :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back