Introducing old tank mate to new tank

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I have been cycling my new tank and am gradually adding small pieces of coral and hardy fish, etc. In my old 13.5 gallon (everything is going into 72 gallon) I have clean up crew, cleaner shrimp and a large (3 inch) clown as well as a fairly big royal gramma. Both very possessive of their areas, but get along fine. I have cycled my new tank with sailfin mollies and pj cardinals. Going to add a couple wrasses, (probably carpenter's and six line) maybe a coral beauty angel then possible a bristle tooth tang. What is the likelihood that the clown and gramma will "loosen up" their attitudes and possessiveness of the tank when put in the larger tank? Do you think it very necessary to aid in this by adding the wrasses before them? Please let me know your thoughts and thank you in advance!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially, since it's a completely new environment, they should be pretty calm as they haven't established territories. To some extent being in a much larger tank they won't be as aggressive as tthey were in their old tank. But don't be surprised if in a few months once they've established territories if they are just as aggressive. If added close together, a week or so, it probably doesn't matter which order you add fish. If longer then I'd add the Carpenter's next than the others later.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back